All Topics / Value Adding / Beautify bathroom on half a shoestring budget

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of howardcmhowardcm
    @howardcm

Hey everyone,

I'm having a quiet wekened this weekend so thought I would start trying to spruce up my new house. The house is a 2 bed 1 bath townhouse 5 min stroll from the beach located in Mosman Park, Perth. Quite a bright house when opened up.

I am painting the 2 bedrooms, fixing up the walk in robe in the main and also looking to do something to the bathroom. At the moment the floor tiles are poo brown, wall tiles are cream with some sort of orange pattern, the vanity is home made and made from ply-wood and the glass shower door is falling apart. Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to head to IKEA and have a look around as well as I need a few light fittings, will also pick up a new shower head.

Only doing a small job this weekend so would like to fix up 1 of the 3 things in the bathroom, probably the tiles first. Is paitning over them a valid idea?

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

There are a few companies which spray an epoxy over the tiles – this is much cheaper than retiling if the base tiles are sound. They can also respray your bath and floor tiles (with a grittier paint) so you don't slip.

Profile photo of Darren BradyDarren Brady
    @darren-brady

We bought a shower and vanite from bunnings and they shipped it to Derby they was easy as pie to install my self and it all looks great.

Profile photo of cosmiccosmic
    Participant
    @cosmic

I did up our bathroom on a quarter of a shoe string. I painted the walls with mould resistent paint and put cheap bunnings lino over the 50's tiles.  I am surprised at how well it came up.  Definately easier to live in now.  The lino cost about $20 and the paint was free.  A vanity can be bought at auction for about $100.
    This is my makeover while I wait for reno funds.

Profile photo of CharynyCharyny
    Participant
    @charyny

I have painted many bathroom and kitchen tiles and laminate.  Use White Knight Paints from Bunnings – they come up so well. 

Have a look at my before and after shots on my website to see the results.  It is very cost effective!

Cheers

Charyn
    http://www.housestoimpress.com

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.