All Topics / Value Adding / upstairs extension

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of roy22roy22
    @roy22

hey everyone,

hoping someone can give me some advice. Im trying to add value to my house and i thought i could try and win both ways if i could do a renovatiion and add a bedroom or two. I prob would not have enough space to add to the rear of the house so i was considering building an upstairs bedroom and ensuite or two beds.

Would anyone have any thoughts about:

how much this would cost me?

would i need permits?

when completed, would this be beneficial to me in terms of growth?

any help would be appreciated as i am just thinking about increasing value on my home. thanks

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

Would def need permits.
    Way to many vriables which can have massive impact on costs-
    What is the roof -Tile, super six, coro?, What pitch? Trusses or rafters? Height from ground? Weight from natural ground?
    Cost could go from $40 for a two man tent pitched to your roof (Don't know about council permits here) through to $100,000

I know this doesnt help but if you need info you it helps to be specific

Profile photo of HandymanHandyman
    @handyman

You will net a DA, which means plans, council and lots of fun stuff. It is too hard to say how much it would cost without knowing anything about the current house, you need to provide alot of info to get even an inkling of what it might cost.

Profile photo of JD86JD86
    @jd86

gday mate

you would definately need permits for this, possibly a planning permit aswell as building permit

as others have said, would depend on materials and size of the upstairs your planning, will you use an architect or building designer?

i would think you'd be up for $70,000 minimum

in terms of growth, i believe it would add value to your house, i suppose it depends on your suburb and surrounding houses

Profile photo of roy22roy22
    @roy22

ok thanks everyone for your help. i have got in contact with a builder and he says would probably be looking at approx 100k. might also have problems getting permit from what he sees as there are no 2 story houses in the street. there must be a reason for that.
    might look to do a nice reno inside instead.
    thanks again

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

You may be in a development control precinct, which would/could prohibit certain types of extensions.
    A quick check through your local council, will soon let you know, or alternatively, get in touch with a building designer, they can do a quick check for you. Adding bedrooms and ensuites/bathrooms, will def increase your equity. We have just completed a second story extension for 56k adding a deck, wir, and ensuite, and the clients were very happy with their recent valuation. Just depends on the area!

good luck with your project Roy

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.