All Topics / Commercial Property / Commercial Peoperty as an Investment

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of julee.djulee.d
    @julee.d

Hi Everyone, any tips for buying commercial properties? I'm new to this area of investing, and not sure where to begin.
    Thanks in advance Julee.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Firstly you'll need to decide your budget, the type of property that you are after (commercial/retail/industrial), whether you want it vacant possession or with a tenant in place.

Other considerations will include location, zoning, usage, age of premises, functional obsolescence, condition of plant and equipment, bylaws affecting usage (if strata), parking, services (ie how much power, water, grease trap capacity, phone/data capabilities etc).

Registration for GST (more important if you are buying with a tenant in place – even for 1 day).

Then you enter into a totally new realm of commercial leases or retail tenancy legislation.

Profile photo of julee.djulee.d
    @julee.d

Sounds scary. Can you recommend any informative books?
    I've read a couple of books on property investing, but they seem to skim over the nitty gritty when it comes to Commercial property.

Profile photo of andykirbyandykirby
    Participant
    @andykirby

Hi Julee,

Commercial property is a whole different ballgame to residential properties. I've looked into it previously, and can suggest a couple of books to read to see if you want to go for it or not. These are;

How Investing In Commercial Property Really Works – Authors Martin Roth & Chris Lang, published by Wrightbooks
    ISBN 0-7314-0293-6

Good Commercial Sense – Author Karina Barrymore, published by Wrightbooks ISBN 0-7314-0633-8

Both give a good breakdown as to the different options, financing, strategies etc and cost around $30. A worthwhile purchase to let you know what's what.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Have a look at the local tafe bookshop – get a couple of the texts.

@julee.d

Thanks guys.
    Looks like I have some reading to do.

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888

In addition to the books above:

Commercial Real Estate Investing by Dolf De Roos is also a worthy book and this excellent thread:

https://www.propertyinvesting.com/forums/property-investing/commercial-property/4325441

Also search thru the Comm Property section of this forum for more info.

@julee.d

Thanks Micheal.

Now I just have to get my head around all the info.

Profile photo of judithscottjudithscott
    @judithscott
    julee.d wrote:
    Hi Everyone, any tips for buying commercial properties? I'm new to this area of investing, and not sure where to begin.
    Thanks in advance Julee.

your request to a particular country & location might help get a response

Profile photo of shubhshubh
    @shubh

Generally, commercial property needs big investments. Seeing the current market, it wouldn’t be too attractive investment. Better invest in multiple purpose property for small spaces instead of having complete property.

Profile photo of judithscottjudithscott
    @judithscott

I found Property Management Company for assistance managing, residential or commercial property, or in running homeowners or condominium association. property management companies will help you find the right company.

Realty Property Management & Property Managers Santa Cruz
    Property Manager Atlanta

" Boredom is a choice. People with a purpose never make that choice."

Profile photo of arakarak
    Participant
    @arak

hi
    the  investment are made according to the experience in the field but the good techniques and tip about field experience came from assistance to experts  it is necessary for real estate consultants to collect the quality techniques and communication skills
    the real estate business returns a lot if the investor keep going on consistently and wait for market boost for sufficient return. for common person it is necessary to contact real estate consultants for latest market updates and information regarding to new options for overseas property

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.