Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of shanemattshanematt
    @shanematt

Has anyone built a duplex for investment? I cannot subdevide my land but wondered if a duplex rather than a single dwelling was a good investment as far as capital growth goes.Obviously rental return would be good but what about CG?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Shane, which state are you in? NSW govt recently approved a new planning system allowing greater scope for development. I don't recall all of the details but it was on the dept of planning's website.

Profile photo of Casper_1000Casper_1000
    Participant
    @casper_1000

If you cannot subdivide then doesn’t that mean the land can only have a single title on it? A duplex would allow two titles on the land? I’m in WA and have a large block but it is zoned R20 (single title only) and just falls short of what is required for a subdivision.

Profile photo of shanemattshanematt
    @shanematt
    Scott No Mates wrote:
    Shane, which state are you in? NSW govt recently approved a new planning system allowing greater scope for development. I don't recall all of the details but it was on the dept of planning's website.

I'm in NSW.
    In a council area that is very strict on these matters-pittwater in sydney

Profile photo of shanemattshanematt
    @shanematt
    Casper_1000 wrote:
    If you cannot subdivide then doesn't that mean the land can only have a single title on it? A duplex would allow two titles on the land? I'm in WA and have a large block but it is zoned R20 (single title only) and just falls short of what is required for a subdivision.

Thats correct.Only potential for one title on my 702spm block.My council in Sydney requires a minimum of 450sqm per block to be seperated.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Here's the link that I was searching for NSW Dept Planning

Profile photo of LockymacLockymac
    @lockymac

Their have been instances were you can “squeeze” more dwellings onto your block of land that you may want into. The zoning (R15,R20, R40) helps to work out a rough idea of how much sqm you need per dwelling works out like this.

For R40

10000/40= 250 so roughly you need 250sqm of land per dwelling although there have been instances ive seen of subdivisions using 220sqm

For R/20

10000/20= 500 so you can subdivide if your land is over 1000sqm usually

My advice is to talk to your local town planner and council, because if the council approve it you have no worries

Hope it helps

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.