All Topics / General Property / ‘Home prices plunge’

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)
  • Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

"http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25415874-2862,00.html

"Melbourne's inner east hit hardest by house price plunge"

BOOM-time home buyers have seen thousands of dollars wiped off the value of their homes.

Home owners in the inner-eastern suburbs have been the hardest hit, especially those forced to sell after buying at the peak.

Suburbs such as Kew and Toorak rose 40 per cent in 2007, but were now suffering the steepest falls.

Anyone who bought a home in these suburbs during the boom is now facing a substantial loss if forced to sell.

In some cases, the big-borrowing top-end buyers may now owe more than their homes are worth.

Plunging prices have wiped tens of thousands of dollars off the value of Melbourne's more expensive suburbs.

Kew, Hawthorn, Toorak, Mentone, Hampton, Albert Park, Canterbury, Camberwell and Port Melbourne are among the hardest hit, along with Sorrento. Owners who have sold recently have realised massive losses.

Developers suffered a $700,000 loss on the sale of a double-storey Victorian home at 49 Mathoura Rd, Toorak, last weekend.

The house was bought for $3.8 million in November 2007 but the developers rejected an offer of $3.7 million when the property was put back on the market a short time later. It sold last weekend for $3.1 million.

Former footballer Corey McKernan lost $310,000 buying and selling his Middle Park home in less than a year.

He bought the three-bedroom brick Page St home for $2.165 million early last year and sold it for $1.855 million last Sunday.

In Armadale, the owners of 14 Myamyn St took a gamble by turning down a pre-auction offer of $4.1 million last year. The house passed in at auction for $4.12 million.

Six months later it sold for around $3.6 million, according to buyer's advocate David Morrell, of Morrell and Koren.

Prices of more affordable homes have been supported by first-home buyers scrambling to buy before the Government scraps its handouts next month.

Prices in many of these suburbs have fallen only slightly or in some cases risen.

REIV chief executive Enzo Raimondo said he expected more first-home buyers to enter the market before the grants end on June 30.

Economists expect prices will fall once the grants stop and first-home buyers no longer have an incentive to purchase quickly.

Prices have also been supported by a lack of homes being offered for sale.

Units and apartment prices fell only $3000 in the March quarter, down 0.8 per cent to $360,000.

Home repossession claims dropped last month after climbing sharply in the first three months of the year.

Supreme Court documents show 260 applications to repossess properties were lodged in April, down from 358 in January.

The numbers are still well below the levels many economists predicted.

Fears of mass evictions and home repossessions brought about by large job losses have not been borne out.

Banks have offered year-long interest rate holidays for home owners who lose their jobs.

"This will hopefully provide some relief to customers so they are not forced into repossession, and so they have one less thing to worry about," Commonwealth Bank spokesman Steve Batten said.

The number of April evictions this year was the same as last year.

Hang on whats this??? The exact areas my mega dollar property advisor was begging me to buy into have been hit the hardest??? bwhahahaahaha jokers, all of them!!!!

Hang on whats this???? Property prices are coming down, where are all the jokers who have been arguing last year that 'there is never a better time to buy' and property double every 7 years????

Gee this impact on prices already and we arent even fully in recession, record low interest rates AND low unemployment. But property prices are going to still go up? ahhhh dont think so, sorry…tip of the ice berg stuff. Bubble is popping….

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

Mentone? I struggle to believe Mentone……. not from what I have seen

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs
    maree_bradross wrote:
    Mentone? I struggle to believe Mentone……. not from what I have seen

Why's that? The facts and figures speak for themselves….

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

I love it when the figures used to support huge house price falls are all for properties in the $ 2 / 3 / 4 M bracket.
    Even in the suburbs mentioned there are properties for more "normal" people. What has happened to those?

Participant
    @blogs
    elkam wrote:
    I love it when the figures used to support huge house price falls are all for properties in the $ 2 / 3 / 4 M bracket.
    Even in the suburbs mentioned there are properties for more "normal" people. What has happened to those?

I love it when property bulls are more than happy to use figures when they were indicating prices going up, but when it shows they are going down they dont want to know about them…..

if you are talking $400-$500k properties, they are being propped up by the grant. Once thats been removed whhooooo boy….

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

This article basically tells us nothing. From a statistical point of view, its and extremely small sample size. The fact is, as reported in the Age last week, house prices fell 3% last year in Melbourne, and is up about 1.6% for the first quarter in 2009.

Profile photo of HandyAndy888HandyAndy888
    @handyandy888

I’ve been following hone prices too….I guess boring at these prices is becoming easier :)

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76
    blogs wrote:
    elkam wrote:

I love it when property bulls are more than happy to use figures when they were indicating prices going up, but when it shows they are going down they dont want to know about them…..

if you are talking $400-$500k properties, they are being propped up by the grant. Once thats been removed whhooooo boy….

I love it when these for and against property investing post pop up over and over and over both on here and somersoft. The for posters are here for the right reason. The against really need to find something better to do with there spare time.

Participant
    @blogs
    devo76 wrote:
    I love it when these for and against property investing post pop up over and over and over both on here and somersoft. The for posters are here for the right reason. The against really need to find something better to do with there spare time.

I love it when people arent bright enough to realise comments such as mine are discussing investing, and part of investing is analysing when to buy and sell. If you are happy to buy in a falling market you arent a investor, so perhaps its you who needs to find something better to do with your time…..

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I'm still buying.  In fact I make my living buying, holding, developing and selling property.  Obviously I'm not an investor then as I'm buying in a falling market.

K

Profile photo of SingerSinger
    @singer

Here is the reason I think that prices are moving downwards:

I set some parameters on realestate dot com dot au  and domain so that properties under a certain price in certain suburbs around Australia would lob into my email inbox automatically as soon as they were listed.     

For about a year I'd get about 1 notification every couple of months.   A few months ago I started getting notifications of about 1 every couple of weeks.     Now I am getting about 6 every week.         Some of them are being relisted at a lower price. 

@devo76
    blogs wrote:
    devo76 wrote:

I love it when people arent bright enough to realise comments such as mine are discussing investing, and part of investing is analysing when to buy and sell. If you are happy to buy in a falling market you arent a investor, so perhaps its you who needs to find something better to do with your time…..

Fair point. But picking the bottom to buy is a hard thing to do. If the numbers stack up then it shoudnt matter. If my parents bought there home many years ago for $35,000. Do you think it matters now if they could have waited for another year and got it for $32,000. Its value today makes these figures redundant.

@devo76
    blogs wrote:
    devo76 wrote:

Fair point. But picking the bottom to buy is a hard thing to do. If the numbers stack up then it shoudnt matter. If my parents bought there home many years ago for $35,000. Do you think it matters now if they could have waited for another year and got it for $32,000. Its value today makes these figures redundant. I

@devo76
    blogs wrote:
    devo76 wrote:

Fair point. But picking the bottom to buy is a hard thing to do. If the numbers stack up then it shoudnt matter. If my parents bought there home many years ago for $35,000. Do you think it matters now if they could have waited for another year and got it for $32,000. Its value today makes these figures redundant. I am

@devo76
    blogs wrote:
    devo76 wrote:

Fair point. But picking the bottom to buy is a hard thing to do. If the numbers stack up then it shoudnt matter. If my parents bought there home many years ago for $35,000. Do you think it matters now if they could have waited for another year and got it for $32,000. Its value today makes these figures redundant. I am very

@devo76
    blogs wrote:
    devo76 wrote:

Fair point. But picking the bottom to buy is a hard thing to do. If the numbers stack up then it shoudnt matter. If my parents bought there home many years ago for $35,000. Do you think it matters now if they could have waited for another year and got it for $32,000. Its value today makes these figures redundant. I am very sceptical

@devo76
    blogs wrote:
    devo76 wrote:

Fair point. But picking the bottom to buy is a hard thing to do. If the numbers stack up then it shoudnt matter. If my parents bought there home many years ago for $35,000. Do you think it matters now if they could have waited for another year and got it for $32,000. Its value today makes these figures redundant. To say investors only buy in a rising market seems very strange to me. Im sure many would disagree with this. Oh and thanks for the comment on my brain power.

Participant
    @blogs
    devo76 wrote:
    Fair point. But picking the bottom to buy is a hard thing to do. If the numbers stack up then it shoudnt matter. If my parents bought there home many years ago for $35,000. Do you think it matters now if they could have waited for another year and got it for $32,000. Its value today makes these figures redundant. To say investors only buy in a rising market seems very strange to me. Im sure many would disagree with this. Oh and thanks for the comment on my brain power.

Not sure which of your 6 posts I was to reply to, but here goes…

Mate, you could use your logic just as easily in the stock market-who cares if you buys at the top just before the crash-as in 10 years time the value will make the bu yprice redundant….

I think its silly to buy just for the sake of buying, especially when EVERYTHING is indicating the prices will only get cheaper. If you have enough money that you dont mind blowing 5-10% (which could easily be $20-$40k average) then good for you. Im not that rich yet so those numbers matter to me..

And as for brain power-ummm you are the one who had the first swipe saying poster like me should find something better to do with their time….? Just returning the favour buddy

Participant
    @blogs
    devo76 wrote:

Mate, you could use your logic just as easily in the stock market-who cares if you buys at the top just before the crash-as in 10 years time the value will make the bu yprice redundant….

I think its silly to buy just for the sake of buying, especially when EVERYTHING is indicating the prices will only get cheaper. If you have enough money that you dont mind blowing 5-10% (which could easily be $20-$40k average) then good for you. Im not that rich yet so those numbers matter to me..

And as for brain power-ummm you are the one who had the first swipe saying poster like me should find something better to do with their time….? Just returning the favour buddy

@devo76
    blogs wrote:
    devo76 wrote:

Good point. But as you say you dont have 5%-10% to blow. I would prefer not too myself also so my offers a low enough to  allow for this and more. Not bullet proof i know but the fact is there are some good buys out there ATM. It may drop more but if you choose well and pay the right price you should be buffered to some degree, an investor could buy now with some assurance that it will pay off in the long term. This is the boat i am in now.I would not buy for the sake of buying. Never have and never will. But the fact is in my target area there are buys well below peaks of a few years ago that cost nothing to hold and have room for improvement. This to me is a good thing regardless if properties soften further.

PS And on the brain thing again. its very hard to defend my brain power after posting six times so i think i will just run for the hills.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.