All Topics / General Property / Strata question WA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of AzaliaAzalia
    Participant
    @azalia

Howdy,

I just bought a villa in Yokine, is first investment, I am living in it for 6 months and then it converts to a rental when I move in October.

Property has a communal hall available to all residents of this strata (had a table tennis set up in there and a pool table). Upon talking to one of the other owner occupiers (who has the key to this hall) she said that the hall was damaged (along with table tennis game) some time ago (Pool table remains). An unqualified "electrician" put an exhaust fan into the hall and a few weeks later some tenants left this fan on and it shorted and smoked out the hall. Hall sits there unused now. Does not appear to be structurally damaged, just smoke damage and to be honest when I looked through the windows at the time of purchase it just appeared to be dusty to me, not badly smoke damaged.

I am aware that the Strata has insurance over all the properties and I only needed to get Contents insurance for mine. So wouldn't Strata insurance cover this hall? Should I contact Strata or the insurers to get more data? )or because it is internal damage due to workmanship that was not ordered by strata is it not covered?)

Here is my question, what is involved and who is responsible for fixing this?

More data, my husband is an electrician and would be happy to fix this free of charge as it would make the space usuable to us (and all other residents in this complex). Plus I am sure that I could find some other residents willing to lend their hands and time to clean up the interior and make this space usuable again.

There appears to have been a sink/kitchen there a long time ago, but plumbing appears to have been dismantled. Potentially this may also be re established to offer more from this space?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Azalia

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

It is probably best taken up with the executive commitee – they are responsible (in conjunction with the strata manager) for expenditure, insurance etc on the property.

If the area was working again, would it really add any value to the complex or only increase the body corporate fees for cleaning?

Profile photo of AzaliaAzalia
    Participant
    @azalia

Thanks SNM I will do that.

From what I can gather from conversation with one of the longstanding owner occupiers, When this hall was operational, the use of it had to be asked of the executive committee first. The users were responsible for preparing the hall for themselves then cleaning up after themselves so I dont believe there was any additional fees involved in regularly cleaning it. It sounds like it was an occasional use thing.

I dont know how much value it would have to have it operational, but for me it was a bonus that this strata had this extra space available. I was toying with the idea of doing a survey to find out what people want done with it (if anything) and if they were willing to provide any time or help to do so. I was also going to ask what they would prefer to use the space for (gym equip,  recreation room, party room, other?).

Anyone have any ideas, suggestions to add?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.