All Topics / Finance / interest rates to fall to 1% ?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

i was just chatting to a friend and she said that interest rates are tipped to fall down to around 1% in Australia.  I found that hard to believe.  Is that what the word on the street is?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Now certainly is not the word on the street or even the guidance on the RBA website.

I think your friend is way off the mark and regretfully has little understanding on financial markets.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

We all wish 1%! :)

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.

thats what i was thinking.  and i said to her that i would be extremely surprised if they went anywhere near that – and they were adamant that she had read it everywhere.  so i dropped the subject. 

Profile photo of hleunghleung
    Participant
    @hleung

Rates may go down to 2% but not likely to 1% unless our economy really "tanks".  Even if rates did fall to 1% I don't think that mortgage rates will go down much more from our present levels.  If interest rates drop by another 1% then our mortgage rates may drop another .5% as the banks keep complaining about their high funding costs.

Profile photo of oneiriceroneiricer
    @oneiricer

2% would be my wet dream come true. rates are likely to drop a max of 50 basis points only.

i think the RBA will hold off for the next 2 round of meetings.

Profile photo of karen.karen.
    @karen.
    hleung wrote:
    Rates may go down to 2% but not likely to 1% unless our economy really "tanks".  Even if rates did fall to 1% I don't think that mortgage rates will go down much more from our present levels.  If interest rates drop by another 1% then our mortgage rates may drop another .5% as the banks keep complaining about their high funding costs.

thanks for explaining it so well  :)  i hadnt thought of that

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Might be going up next year 2010…

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Certainly Bond Rates have started to move back up the curve hence fixed rates have started to rise.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.