All Topics / General Property / Buying houses with diamonds

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Profile photo of jazz77jazz77
    @jazz77

I recently had three homes for sale in a four home development at around $700,000 each. I had a guy offer to buy two of them. The deal he offered was half cash, half diamonds. I did not accept the offer.

Anyone else had an offer like this before?

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

real diamonds???
    Why not ask for Gold bullions

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

Diamonds are worthless… They are scattered on the ground in Africa

Though offer gold and silver bars/coins…. and your talkin….

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Sounds sus like illegal gains from crime.
    The bent cop on the Bill converted stolen cash to diamonds to bring money into Australia in the show the BILL.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Duckster

You are right he did but Jack Meadows got him in the end.
    Certainly wouldn't happen on my watch.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

didn't they work out how to make fake diamonds that can't be distinguished from the real thing?  Thus, plummeting the value of diamonds.

It does sound like some sort of illegality.

Sure, diamonds are just scattered on the ground everywhere in Africa.  Like quartz here.  Just everywhere, always hurting your foot on the darned things.

Profile photo of jazz77jazz77
    @jazz77

I know it sounds suss, but i guess some people do deal in assets other than cash, like property for example.

Anyway, i had a few issues with the deal;

1. I cant walk into my bank and pay back the development loan with a bag of diamonds, i would need to sell them immediately.

2. If the diamonds are worth what he says they are why cant he sell them himself and bring me the $$$  ?

3. Settlement?? I would need to do an independant valuation at settlement otherwise whos to say the diamonds I saw on signing the contract of sale are the same ones presented on the day of settlement.

Profile photo of skuzskuz
    Participant
    @skuz

It's also very hard to get a valuation for diamonds. It depends on a lot of different things. The weight, the clarity, the cut etc etc. Any one of those things can either increase or decrease the value of he diamonds. Gold or even silver on the other hand is straight forward. You just have to weight it and you know the value.

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

skuz wrote:
    Gold or even silver on the other hand is straight forward. You just have to weight it and you know the value.

Hello skuz

I wouldn't be too sure of that.  True story.

Without going into great details the basic facts are that my girl friends husband thought he was being careful ( and clever ) when he accepted about 30,000 euros in gold bars ( marked as issued by a Swiss bank ) . He had 6 of them ( randomly chosen by him from a suitcase full of bars ) cut in half and tested professionally while everyone waited, watching the suitcase.

After the deal was concluded and the people had left the only real gold bars were the 6 that he had had tested. The rest were just gilded.

As I told him when I tried to disuade him from entering into this "profitible" transaction, if the bars were real and also not stolen then they could be sold in any bank.

An expensive lesson.  :-( 
    Elka

Profile photo of ajaydee73ajaydee73
    Participant
    @ajaydee73

Anyone who is doing the right thing can pay in cash.

Profile photo of oneiriceroneiricer
    @oneiricer
    elkam wrote:

skuz wrote:
    Gold or even silver on the other hand is straight forward. You just have to weight it and you know the value.

Hello skuz

I wouldn't be too sure of that.  True story.

Without going into great details the basic facts are that my girl friends husband thought he was being careful ( and clever ) when he accepted about 30,000 euros in gold bars ( marked as issued by a Swiss bank ) . He had 6 of them ( randomly chosen by him from a suitcase full of bars ) cut in half and tested professionally while everyone waited, watching the suitcase.

After the deal was concluded and the people had left the only real gold bars were the 6 that he had had tested. The rest were just gilded.

As I told him when I tried to disuade him from entering into this "profitible" transaction, if the bars were real and also not stolen then they could be sold in any bank.

An expensive lesson.  :-( 
    Elka

If he randomy chose 6 gold bars, how did they swap them in time?!?! Was it a Chris angel trick or something?

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar
    hbbehrendorff wrote:
    Diamonds are worthless… They are scattered on the ground in Africa

Though offer gold and silver bars/coins…. and your talkin….

I'll head into the jeweller this afternoon and grab myself a couple of diamond rings then.  I'll bring in a copy of this post and I'm sure that the jeweller will just accept the gold value in the rings.

Sheesh

K

Profile photo of KentenKenten
    @kenten

G,day

Diamonds??? See if they will pay you with alcohol and I will come and have a drink with you

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.