All Topics / Finance / What do banks want to hear when applying for a first home loan? Recommendations ? Bankwest Tracker Ultra?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of bb8bb8
    Participant
    @bb8

Hi, wondering if anyone could help –

My spouse and I have just bought our first home (PPoR), and have been shopping for a loan

Basic finance details
    combined income 140000 pretax
    no kids
    no debt
    no hecs

we have about 200,000 total savings and so plan to only borrow up to 80% to avoid LMI – planning to borrow about 550K
    basically all our wages/savings will service the loan and hopefully contribute to P+I
    we would like to rent out the property after 6 months so that rental income can help with mortgage repayments
    and if the realestate market continues to decline in a few years then look at investing in something else

The big banks recommend pro-packages marketed under different names..
    We've managed to conclude our basic needs are
    1. best discount off SVR (though to our surprise even big banks vary by up to 0.2% on the SVR!)
    2. full offset account with free withdrawals
    3. free switches to split loans etc
    4. low exit fees – though they seem to be pretty standard

don't need credit cards b/c we have fee free ones. and pretty confident the other "bonuses" like home insurance discounts can be matched independently

so far banks have only offered decent "discounts" off SVR if you take up their pro-packages. so far, i have gotten quotes (in person) from nab 0.8%, westpac at least 0.8% depending on their "pricing department", ANZ 0.77%.

Our questions are : what of our profile as a borrower do banks consider when working out your maximum discount, for our loan amount 550-600K?

do they want to hear that you want to invest in something else soon hence take up more debt?
    others ask us about plans to renovate etc – why? so we take up more loan?

we assume the banks would want us to be paying interest only for as long as possible – do i have to disclose my savings in other banks that i plan to use to offset my loan (straight away as a lump sum to reduce interest repayments), or if i have to tell them anyway as part of the application process, do i tell them it's been set aside for a car or something?

and, am i more likely to get a better discount from the bank where the bulk of our savings is?

what do banks really want to hear?

and what don't they want to hear?  how is "common property" relevant – ours is a townhouse but with own land, and just a small shared driveway to the garage

and with the discrepancies in SVR for the big banks, in your experience, is one of them consistently the "leader" in keeping ahead with decent rate drops – commonwealth? nab?

Re: bankwest's home tracker ultra – any comments on our plan = take advantage of Bankwest's discounted interest rate, until 3 years is up or such time when the SVR minus discount offered by other banks trumps Bankwest's rate – then jump ship (b/c of no exit fees).

i foolishly discussed this plan with a big bank when trying to negotiate a good discount off SVR.  She asked – would I be considering leaving a loan after 4 years (when exit fees are nil). oh well.

Apologies for such a longwinded post with so many questions.. I hope the answers will help other first home buyers too!

Thanks in advance
    b

ps. we've approached one independent broker so far – who basically told us due to current economic climate – there's pretty much no margin at all – and just tabulated the banks standard offers.  so we went to the banks directly.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

I think your above comment shows your total misunderstanding of what a good Broker can do for you.

I must admit i would agree with the Broker you approched that i am suprised any major would discount their rates further than the standard for a loan of that size.

Westpac have a standard policy issued out of Adelaide that no loan under $750K is to be discount priced so i hope you got that in writing from Adelaide as the say so from the local Branch will have no bearing when it comes to letter of offer.
    All the others are in the same boat as the loan is not particulaly big. Anything over a $1M and then it is is possible.

But your basic misunderstanding comes with your statement that you intend to take the loan out P & I and use your salary to reduce the debt as quickly as possible before you rent the property out. The interest on any funds you then redraw cannot be claimed as a tax deduction and immediately the loan is contaminated.

Back onto the interest rate discount why dont you blank out the names and branch address of the lenders who have confirmed their discounts in writing and post them on your response for everyone to see.

I like most Brokers would deal with loans of $500-$600K every day of the week at the moment and assure that the majors are not interested in discounting. With 2 of them upto $750K only gives you 0.5-0.6% discount off the SVR.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of v8ghiav8ghia
    @v8ghia

Banks will want to see full disclosure, a reasonable asset position for your age, and that you can afford to pay your loan. Not that it applies to you, but having a small or no deposit, credit cards with high limits, and a personal and or car loan chucked i n for good measure and applying as a 'new to bank' customer simply will not cut the mustard. Same stuff as if You were lending someone money. It sounds like you are 'good to go'. Not a big fan of introductory style loans, but if you are condsidering leaving after 3 or 4 years for some reason, and dont want a 'package' style product, maybe you should look at that. Or a 'base' style loan (CBA Economiser, NAB Base variable, ANZ SImplicity etc etc. )
    Want an offset account and rate discounts? You will be offered a package loan – and the annual fee more than makes up for the discounted rate. Bear in mind, the 'discount' amount depends on where the rate is starting eh? You'll still get 0.7 with the better lenders.
    All the best.

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Interesting to already hear that Bank West have decided not to drop their rate yet CBA their owner has cut 0.10%.

Maybe the loss leader that Bank West is still has to make it pay.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of bb8bb8
    Participant
    @bb8

Dear Qlds007 and v8ghia

Thank you very much for all the advice.  Perhaps with the recent interest rates changes the banks have been a little more lenient with their offers – though I have no idea why… I have received offers of 0.8% discount of SVR from the banks with the exception of CBA – who we haven't approached actually – which from your posts seemed to have tightened up with their lending discounts – also noting their fixed rates are now higher.  Westpac with their pro package also offer the 0.2% off fixed rates which is an advantage.  Pity there is no historical comparison of SVR's of the 4 banks for 2008 to work out which banks have generally stayed the lowest with the SVR.  I only found Nov/Dec 2008 rates in Cannex.

Thanks again!

Profile photo of Edvico_kvnEdvico_kvn
    @edvico_kvn

BB8,

Shopping around, looking for the lender that offers 0.1, 0.2, 0.3….% rate lower than other lenders is a waste of time as far as I'm concerned.  Sure you might save a little interest but if structured and "used" incorrectly, you loan will cost you much more and cause you to pay more tax than you have to.

I agree with Richard in that you may have underestimated the value a GOOD mortgage broker can offer over staff at bank branches…………..a good broker that properly structures the loan in the correct manner and advising you how to "USE" the loan in the most tax effective manner saves you MUCH more than a small discount % in SVR

It makes no sense to pay down your principal with a P&I loan and then have the property rented out after 6 months…….here's a tip that most bank branch staff won't give you….think about PRIORITISING your cash outflow……..an interest only loan is not a cynical product conjured up by Banks to ensure their customers indefinitely maintain a large loan principal……it is a loan feature that all serious property investors insist on having (coupled with an offset account of course)

Yes its important to minimise your expense by seeking the cheapest loan rate….but as you have mentioned…..the rate changes amongst banks are not consistent and today's cheapest lender may not be tomorrow's cheapest lender….you would be better off spending your time seeking to understand the difference between a redraw facility from an offset account and having your loan structured properly

Good luck with your hunt for the best loan that suits you

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

hi my understanding with bankwest rate tracker ultra is that you can pull out before the 3 years is up and change to another one of there products with no exit fees only a $350 transfer cost. Am i right or wrong? 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.