All Topics / Creative Investing / Hotel managed properties

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of tsarblatsarbla
    Participant
    @tsarbla

Hi, just been searching the netfor properties, and keep coming across hotel managed properties with seemingly very good rental returns. The lease on these are for variable years.
    Was wondering if anyone has experience buying these and what the pros and cons are.  Is it a big issue when the lease runs out/needs to be renewed?
    Thanks.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hello,

My brother owns 19 motels … exactly what is your question.

Monolopy sell 4 houses buy 1 motel … it works

D

Profile photo of andrewbeechandrewbeech
    Participant
    @andrewbeech

They can be worthwhile or they can be trouble …. I would suggest trying to only buy these on the secondary market as the developers usually try to price the cost of the higher return into the off plan purchase price. If possible try and get the figures for the "actual" returns the room would have netted if it wasn't on a fixed return and also what the expected nett return is when the fixed return period runs out.

Over the past few years these types of property (in NZ anyway) were sold predominantly in asia where locals were borrowing money at 1-2% and getting 8-9% fixed returns

If you are still interested in this type of investment I know of several available at deep discounts so send me a message.

Profile photo of trustieonetrustieone
    @trustieone
    andrewbeech wrote:
    They can be worthwhile or they can be trouble …. I would suggest trying to only buy these on the secondary market as the developers usually try to price the cost of the higher return into the off plan purchase price. If possible try and get the figures for the "actual" returns the room would have netted if it wasn't on a fixed return and also what the expected nett return is when the fixed return period runs out.

Over the past few years these types of property (in NZ anyway) were sold predominantly in asia where locals were borrowing money at 1-2% and getting 8-9% fixed returns

If you are still interested in this type of investment I know of several available at deep discounts so send me a message.

I too would like to know more about Motel investing,what would i need to see (figures etc) to determine the profitability of these,i suppose because so much might be cash payments for some overnight stays i would like some tips as to how to evaluate a good one from a bad one.
    Thanks

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Andrew
    Pls send me some info on those too.
    Thanks

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of QGMQGM
    @qgm

They may be fine, however here's something to consider:-

They guarantee a percentage return based on sale price for a set period of years.  Have you ever wondered how they manage to continue with guaranteed payments to you during the guarantee period if this time also coincides with a decline in say tourism?  

It is fair to assume that there is a decline in visitor/tourism numbers at present because of GFC, growing unemployment etc – agree?

I would be seriously considering this as a non- investment product.  Just ask any lender at the moment how much they are prepared to lend against this type of investment – the answer may shock you.  The less they lend the higher the risk to you.

Generally these apartments have the rental guarantee built into the upfront price to cover the guarantee period.  To guarantee any payments into the future for accomodation type investments when there is no way to guarantee that the rooms will be used really raises some questions.

I agree with andrewbeech above.  Be careful.

and finally to illustrate, here's an example for thought:-

purchase price say $300,000 with rental guarantee of say 7% for 3 years.  (a fairly typical scenario)

The operator has to be paid and all the outgoings associated with such an investment also have to be paid (management fees, rates, maintenance etc etc).  
    As a general rule your return is usually around 45% of gross monies received. 
    Therefore to guarantee you $21,000 per year x 3 years the gross figure per room per annum must be approx $47,000.  Most of these style of establishments generally are around 3 to 4 star  so let's assume a nightly rate of approx $150.  This equates to approx. 313 nights per annum or an occupancy rate of approx 86% – a fairly high consistent occupancy rate is required considering the amount of accomodation competition in the market place today. 

This may sound long winded, but all I'm trying to say is be careful. 

Good luck with your decision.

Participant
    @thecrest
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    Hello,

My brother owns 19 motels … exactly what is your question.

Monolopy sell 4 houses buy 1 motel … it works

D

Hi D
    Please please I need to talk to your brother. I own one motel and need to ask about what strategy works to multiply that to 5 and how to admin them. Can you arrange a contact please. PMs don't seem to get through to you.
    Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully that's what we're all here for.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi D – Wealth4Life
    It seems this post and my personal messages and emails to you are either being ignored or ALL of them are not getting through for some inexplicable reason.  Hopefully I have not put you on a spot somehow, and hopefully your brother really does own 19 motels as you say in your post.  So in the spirit of mutual assistance on which this forum is based, I'm asking for a reply from you for assistance in reaching your brother so as an owner of 1 motel, I can ask him how he builds to owning 19 motels and admins that many.
    Any assistance would be most appreciated.
    Regards
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of BluegrassBluegrass
    Participant
    @bluegrass

Hi tsarbla
    You say you are searching for cash flow positive property and keep coming up with motel rooms.
    That is because motel rooms on their own are hard to finance, hard to sell and hard to get capital growth out of.
    There are many cash flow positive properties available throughout Australia that are a better bet than a motel unit.
    If going the motel way you need to buy the business so you can control your risk.
    Motels are not always full (in fact are very seldom at 100%) ad the rooms that are used the most are the ones easiest on the eye and close to the bar, pool etc.
    Unless all the rooms are in pooling there is a chance you unit may never get rented.
    Also my experience tells me  that the return to you will be no greater than 40% after all the costs of admin, cleaning, insurance, maintenance, management fee etc.
    Be aware, do your research, and when completed you should  be buying a negative geared cash positive property ahead of a motel unit.
    Regards
    Bluegrass

Participant
    @thecrest

Hi Bluegrass
    Is that 40%  a typo ? If not, it sounds pretty good to me.

Also I'm confused – would you explain what you mean by " a negative geared cash positive property " , which appears to me to be a contradiction in terms.

Also have to agree with you that motels are hard to finance as the banks want high LVR even from those with the right track record in hospitality. Buyers of these motels need these deposits and this is best case scenario –
    Freehold 40% deposit — ROI 14% – 15% owner operated
    Leasehold 50%  deposit — ROI  25% – 30% owner operated
    Ouch on the deposit. Yes they can be hard to sell if not priced correctly and few ever are until the vendor has spent considerable time on the market and been conditioned down to meet the market and current conditions. However, each one will sell within 12 months if priced at market price, that being the appropriate price for what is is, where it is, what condition it is in,  motel market outlook conditions, and what it netts. (Conditions apply).

Those contemplating buying individual managed motel units should bear in mind those selling and managing it will want money for admin, cleaning and maintenance –  all at premium prices, some with overriding excess fees.
    It really is a good lurk for the seller to refinance the motel this way and pay the buyer 4% for their money instead of the seller using borrowed funds from the bank at 7% ish commercial rates. Plus the seller's strategy shifts future operating costs onto the buyer comprising admin, cleaning and maintenance , plus refurbishment every 5-7 years, depending on the star rating and policy of the establishment.  The buyer provides cheap finance and pays some motel operating costs, that's what it's usually all about.
     The key is the homework. Which you're doing.
    Cheers
    thecrest

Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of BluegrassBluegrass
    Participant
    @bluegrass

Hello to thecrest
    The 40% is the return after costs on the rent.
    Assuming that the rent is $800 per week on holiday letting and the costs related to holding are 60% of it, there will be a shortfall in the mortgage payment if say $300,000 was borrowed at 7%.

The comment Negative Geared – Cash Positive comes from when a new property is bought and the rental income plus the tax depreciation exceeds the outgoings.

Eg I have some house and land packages in Chinchilla and the purchase is $326,900 and the rent is $420 per week.
    When tax depreciation is bought into calculation and say joint income of $120,000 then the holding cost actually becomes a profit (the property returns $25.00 per week in the first year.
    Regards
    Bluegrass  

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.