All Topics / General Property / Smoke alarm maintenance

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Profile photo of ToolsTools
    Participant
    @tools
    WJ Hooker wrote:
      Thanks for info. will look out for this can in the shops? any particular shop ?

You will get this from an electrical wholesaler.

Tools

Profile photo of bundyanimalbundyanimal
    Participant
    @bundyanimal

WJ Hooker,

You might be right with regards to 'how deep' the push button tests go……

As with the aerosol can, Tools is in the right track…..A good electrical wholesaler / or retailer should have the can. I think I got mine from Haymans Electrical here on the Sunny Coast if I remember…

Cheers,

Profile photo of units4meunits4me
    @units4me

A contributer to cost is tenant access.

"we don't get home till 7PM", "can you do it on Sunday?", "we don't want anyone in there without us present" etc are typical responses by some tenants, as well as not returning phone calls.

Not simply a matter of driving up and replacing a battery.

Profile photo of MattDelfMattDelf
    @mattdelf

Thanks Scott and Bundy

I put it to my PM that it was little unprofessional to send me the letter without any quotes, with the letter that signs away any fault on their part re smoke alarm legislation. Well she backed off quick smart, said I should not have received the letter and only some clients got the letter. Is this the clients who are not local to their prperties and just usually say yes to anything the PM suggests, therefore being overcharged. The way she backed off quick and said no worries, no need to sign the form and they will continue with current procedure (ie check themselves when tenancy changes) makes me smell a rat. The old kick back for every property that got using the service!

I am getting a can of Smoke Alarm aerosol tester and using it at home now. If Ok i think I will buy four and have them placed in each of my properties by the PM along with a pack of baterries. I am sure is cheaper then $99 a year per property on an ongoing bases. What a rip off!

Profile photo of thecrestthecrest
    Participant
    @thecrest

Property manager is already paid to do 3-4 internal property inspections per year, so while in the premises, why not test and replace those items while there. $99 ? Struth, that's $100 and get real –  it's a rip off. Don't be afraid to call it what it is.
    Cheers
    thecrest

thecrest | Tony Neale - Statewide Motel Brokers
    http://www.statewidemotelbrokers.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

selling motels in NSW

Profile photo of businessglobalbusinessglobal
    Participant
    @businessglobal

I can make a very good practical imput on this topic- we recently had a tenants ex wife burn our 500k investment property down and leave us 4 walls!!!  the insurance company tried every trick possible to reduce the claim, inspect every document, property managers reports, condition reports, when the wiring was done, last electrical works, any new appliances in the home and also smoke alarms and state, when tested, whom tested them and to prove everything.

Luckily all my docs were totally in place and my Property Mgr was very very thorough

It has taken 12 months of drama to rebuild this home for the insurance company and then they tried to scrimp on everything – appliances, tapware, blinds, not install hardwood timber flooring and polish it as our floors are worth about 50k. If they can get out of any of the claim they will alwys try and for $99 or whatever I would rather peace of mind that our asset is fully protected – plus it is 100% deductible anyway.

I guess you have to also value your time and Im sure you could make more than $99 using the time to work, study, time with family, or looking for other deals and creating more $$$ for yourselves. Plus where the leagl issue arises also is that the insurer can deny the claim and has a right to deny your claims or part deny them if they deem you have not used licensed/ experienced professionals, or kept the home/ unit in a regular maintenance schedule for electrical, wiring, smoke alarms- so I would not be taking the risk.

I have always taken the opinion and book in my diary every year the following and make sure my suppliers nad property managers have things booked in also-

Yearly termite inspection
    Clean gutters 2 x per year or more if required
    Property Mgr to check all lights/ switches/ screens/ and see if any water leaks etc and report to me
    Correct smoke alarm maintenance- Have a company sign off that they are all checked, in correct order, satisfy legislation and can prove I have fulfilled my duty of care 100% and make sure they fax me the paperwork every time they do it.

Check all decking, stairs, timbers 3 x per year so as to check wood rot, loose timbers, danger for tenants

Make sure no bunk beds or bedding too close to windows for kids beds- as I had one tenants child fall out the window as was jumping on the bed and smashed through the screen and landed on the grass outside.

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

businessglobal,
                                 Very sorry to hear of your experience, I guess that explains why you are now so parenoid, suggest you sell your rental and put your money in the bank or under your pillow, before you worry yourself to death.

Profile photo of KuradjiKuradji
    @kuradji

Ouch.
    Reading this last post – I found it unkind, unhelpful, and … unnecessary.

businessglobal…. I was sympathetic to read about your unfortunate circumstances and understand why you are more cautious now.

Profile photo of businessglobalbusinessglobal
    Participant
    @businessglobal
    WJ Hooker wrote:
    businessglobal,
                                 Very sorry to hear of your experience, I guess that explains why you are now so parenoid, suggest you sell your rental and put your money in the bank or under your pillow, before you worry yourself to death.

I dont just have 1 rental- I have about 25, plus about 7 homes being built now- so doubt Im going to sell them off and stash my cash, as property is my full time business-  Im not paranoid but well see how you go ever if you have a 500k asset burn to the ground by a psych tenants ex wife. I dont appreciate your comments, I dont worry at all as have very strong systems in place now for correct checks of smoke alarms, termites, wood rot, decks, timbers, plumbing and I am a landlord that enjoys very long term tenants that love my homes, pay their rents normally a month in advance and I give them all $200 hampers for xmas each home.

I dont worry as have good staff highly trained and we use only professionals in our team and office and use outlook for everything, so I can sleep nicely as I know it is done correctly and not possible for us to be sued. Or if we ever are we have the correct checks and people in place doing their things required for each rental.

I have a degree in property and law so maybe you should see some of the prosecutions I work on for lax landlords and if they bothered to spend a little money and were more up to date with their maintenance/ correct checking they would not be sued.

A real estate office in Brisbane was recently sued 60,000 plus the landlord was sued 180,000 for not checking the decking boards more than 1 x per year and having them inspected and the tenant partly fell through the boards and sucessfully sued the landlord and real estate agency, so Im not going down all this path.
    I call your paranoid description – actually correct due diligence and asset protection of a multi mill portfolio- and no Im not selling anything Im buying more now.

Profile photo of elecengineerelecengineer
    @elecengineer

Smoke Alarms yes simple but like anything electrical comes with a Caveat. 

1/ I find the maintenance cost high, but note if your house burns down then the onus is on you to prove that the smoke alarm was working???

2/ Just by pushing the test button does not mean the alarm is working, the only real way is to use synthetic smoke, or put your toaster underneath and burn some toast.

3/  Also remember that  whilst you pay insurance premiums, you cannot be sure you are actually insured until the insurer pays up (that is the test).

4/ If you use a third party and your house burns down and you can prove it was because of a faulty or poorly maintained smoke detector / alarm you may be able to sue the maintainer if they have professional indemnity insurance, always worth asking prior to engaging any person who does work on your property.

5/ Builders often use third parties for difficult or high risk work such as membranes in wet areas, the only reason is if it fails they have recourse.

Profile photo of ChrisA1ChrisA1
    Participant
    @chrisa1

Excellent comments here.

I also understand that to properly test a smoke detector, synthetic (or real) smoke must be used under it; just trying to work out how to create smoke to test the detectors (unfortunately most of mine are a little too far away from an electrical point to burn some toast under them)!

ChrisA1

Persistence is 'to keep on keeping on, no matter how hard the going may be'

Profile photo of chrispow88chrispow88
    Participant
    @chrispow88

Hi,

I have used "http://budgetsmokealarms.com.au" in the past and they are about half the price, any one else use them?

I have no affiliation with them but use them as they are cheap.

Regards

Profile photo of SmokingjobSmokingjob
    @smokingjob

I would like to wade in here, I work for Chubb Fire, previously Fire Fighting Enterprises, for the last 23 years all I have done is monthly tests on Fire/ Ewis panels and carried out Annual tests on smoke detectors within home units.

I do not test residential smoke detectors unless my company has a service agreement with the Strata Plan.

Having read the comments ( all good ), the people with whom I work amongst have no formal training to do what they do , so a competent person as mentioned in the AS 1851.8 2005 , now 2012 will suffice for testing.

you want to test the detectors without dirtying the filter, do as my professional training has provided ………….. Long conduit and Incense . 

Profile photo of mariachristinmariachristin
    @mariachristin

Here are some tips for the annual maintenance of smoke alarm for the safety life:

1. Replace batteries in all smoke alarms at least once a year
    2. Test alarms at least monthly by pushing the test button.
    3. Be sure the smoke alarm has the label of a recognized testing laboratory
    4. Replacement of faulty and expired smoke detectors where necessary.

Profile photo of LeeMilligan123LeeMilligan123
    Participant
    @leemilligan123

There is no maintenance required on a hard wired smoke detector

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm
    LeeMilligan123 wrote:
    There is no maintenance required on a hard wired smoke detector

I'm no electrician, but I cannot see how this is correct.  A smoke alarm is an appliance which will at some point have a fault or stop working.  The same applies to the electrical wiring.

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of springydesspringydes
    Participant
    @springydes

I just got charged $109 for smoke alarm maintenance on my latest statement. I normally perform this myself with the documentation, et; yet for some reason my PM felt obliged to go ahead & get it done on my behalf without getting the go ahead (The management agreement even spitulates that smoke alarm is to be maintained by the landlord)
    Wish me luck getting the refund. BUT the question here is: Is this common practise?

Profile photo of Jacqui MiddletonJacqui Middleton
    Participant
    @jacm

There would be a form you would have signed to nominate whether you want them to handle maintaining it, or maintaining it yourself. Politely remind them of this and indicate you look forward to seeing your reimbursement for the error on your next statement. If it doesn’t show up, go the appropriate small claims route through Consumer Affairs (VCAT in Victoria).

Jacqui Middleton | Middleton Buyers Advocates
    http://www.middletonbuyersadvocates.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

VIC Buyers' Agents for investors, home buyers & SMSFs.

Profile photo of detectorinspectordetectorinspector
    Participant
    @detectoraus

Yes nice and its depend upon the usage of smoke alarms. You need to aware with it. Maintenance of smoke alarm is very necessary also replace faulty and expired smoke detectors as soon as possible. Annual maintenance is very important for your life safety. The age of smoke Alarm could also matter for your safety purpose, So continuous testing and servicing of smoke alarm is very important for life safety .

Profile photo of diamondlovediamondlove
    Participant
    @diamondlove

Yes , I think detector inspector is right, Regular smoke alarm services and maintenance protect you and your family from the unexpected fire. Continuous testing and servicing of smoke alarm is important for life safety.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.