All Topics / General Property / Glenroy vs Greensborough/Montmerency/ELtham

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Patrick_RajPatrick_Raj
    @patrick_raj

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a Principal Place of residence in Melbourne and have narrowed it down to predominantly two areas. Glenroy or the Greensborough/Montmerency/Eltham areas.

Understand its a personal decision at the end of the day but i'm looking for suggestions from folks who have lived in or invested in either of these areas. Which do would you say is a better investment and a better place to live in etc. I do hope to rent this property out at some stage as well.

Any suggestions most welcome. Even if its suggestions as to the type of questions i should be asking myself when looking to buy my own home. Thanks.

regards,
    Patrick

Profile photo of abhargavabhargav
    Participant
    @abhargav

Hi,

I have been following Glenroy for the last 10 months. It's a very stable suburb but in comparison to Oak Park or Pascoe Vale then there is atleast 100K diffrence for the same property. Also in one of the property investment magazine they mentioned a booming suburb because of the train connectivity.

Also, I think there is some crime in Glenroy and families tend to avoid that area. I haven't seen anything like that.

Some of my friends stay in Greensborough and they had to get out of their houses during bushfire time. I would suggest anything you choose just make sure it's near to Public Transport.

Good Luck

Profile photo of cybermancyberman
    @cyberman

Hi,  I live in the Eltham, Montmorency area for the last 30 years.  After living in a lot of areas all around Melbourne
    in my younger days I can say living in Eltham, Montmorency was the best decision I have made. The area is semi
    hilly with lots of trees and lots of fresh air, some great shopping centers are just a few kilometers apart. Many good
    schools are available and also train and buses are within easy reach. Good rental Income is assured and Property
    values are very stable and always on the increase.  My vote is for Eltham, Montmorency

Cheers,

Profile photo of kris07kris07
    Participant
    @kris07

Have you considered the inner west – Seddon, Yarraville?

Profile photo of gezzygezzy
    @gezzy

It's funny, I was just bad-mouthing Glenroy a couple of hours ago. As per abharga's post, there is a bit of crime in Glenroy, but it's pretty good location-wise in terms of being close to Eastlink and the CBD. Over the last 12 months there have been quite a few older-style houses being bought in Glenroy only to be knocked down and subdivided for 2-3 townhouses to be built and leased out. I've seen houses go up for sale and be sold pretty quickly. I personally wouldn't want to live there, but I would invest there if I could. Only thing I like about the area is the kebab shop on the corner of Pascoe Vale Rd and Glenroy Rd (they're great!).

I have a friend who has moved to Eltham. He loves it there. I went to high school in Watsonia, not too far from there, and I'm not really that big on those areas. cyberman pretty much sums it up in his post. There are a lot of trees. Pretty much the sticks Obviously a lot further out from the CBD but the Western Ring Rd isn't too far away.

It all comes down to what you prefer. They are two totally different areas. Good luck

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.