All Topics / General Property / Property Market Has Bottomed?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)
  • Profile photo of leo777leo777
    Participant
    @leo777

Hi,

I would like to comment about the property market.
    I live in Melbourne and in the last couple of months, the clearance rate has gone up to more than 70%.
    During this time (recession), we expect the housing market to drop.
    But what happen now, it seems like people are pushing up the property price (the fact that the clearance rate are up).

I might be wrong about this, but does the rise of the clearance rate is just for temporary only (before it's going to drop)?
    Or
    it's going to push the price up in the next few months?

Based on history, the cycle shown there is up & down. I think currently we're heading to the bottom of the cycle.

Any idea or opinion about what is going to happen, at least until beginning of next year, whether the property is going to go up or down?

Regards,

Leo

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888

A higher clearance rate is due to shortage of stock. Anectdotally, I am noticing fewer for sale in Melbourne at least, so what gets listed and has reasonable vendors, will sell.

We haven't bottomed as a market collectively, although there are sub-markets such as fringe FHB suburbs. The large development houses (Delfin, Devine, Stockland, etc) are laughing with the enhanced FHOG, encouraging young ones who haven't lived thru any economic slow down to go full bore on instant gratification by buying an (affordable) brand new box on land in places with no ( or little) amenity. Some have barely saved for the closing costs………expect some pain to be delivered to them.

These people fund the whole purchase with FHOG as deposit and whilst DSR may be OK for now, wait till they lose a job or take a pay cut or  as will be inevitable interest rates rise again.

Some more pain to come………these are opportune times to be cashed up with folding stuff or equity (with skinny LVR's) and pounce when the deal is good.

It is always darkest before the dawn…….I expect a little more nightfall and then the cycle will again begin with daylight.

Let the games begin.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

I agree with you Michael. The BOOST by government while creating a big black hole defisit, will basically creating more pain for property market in the long term. The game has already begun….

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Hello 888,

I totally agree with you … yesterdays paper said it all about OUR FHOG being likened to the American sub prime …

read read read and get educated … the market at the bottom hasn't bottomed but the market at the top and middle is coming down further.

D

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi,

W4L, do you have a link that the article that you read in the papers. Would like to read it.

In the suburbs that we are looking at buying into, REAs are out scouting for more property to sell. There is definitely a much lower stock available for sale and with the current FHBs rush, they are pushing auction rates up.

Still, I have seen vendors who hold out for a generous buyers like it is still the boom days or something.

We have not found anything reasonable to buy, and am happy to wait for a good property to come by. At the mean time, we continue to build up our cash reserves.

Regards
    Daniel Lee

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

W4L, I found the link to the article I believe you were talking about.

http://www.news.com.au/business/money/story/0,28323,25223797-5013951,00.html

Australian housing market holds sub-prime danger

Regards
    Daniel

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

If you look at the auction figure closely ( I am talking about Sydney's market), the amount of turn over is 4x less than previous year…. so that the %of auction rate is MISLEADING.. The volume of transaction is 4x less….

Profile photo of UbisoftUbisoft
    @ubisoft

I agree. I feel that a lot of people are not selling into this sort of market at the moment, adopting a wait-and-see approach. So the turnover should be smaller. Would the clearance rate be more reflective of new suburbs like Hoppers Crossing, where all the young guns are diving into the market for FOHG

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    Hello 888,
    read read read and get educated … the market at the bottom hasn't bottomed but the market at the top and middle is coming down further.

Which means, quite literally, all that remains is for the bottom to fall out of the market.

@ummester
    Ubisoft wrote:
    I agree. I feel that a lot of people are not selling into this sort of market at the moment, adopting a wait-and-see approach.

If you want to upgrade an entry level PPOR, you have from now to June. Beyond that, you won't get a truly profitable sale for 5 years at least.

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454

The top end is "coughing up a lung", in Sydney Mosman is a bloodbath, can give you many examples but one will do.

" Palm Beach, little weekender, don't really stay there much, maybe 4 days a month, yeah work is a bitch, picked it up for $5.5M, …yeah should do nicely in the future, Oh borrowed the lot, yep the house at Mosman is worth $10M now, ……interest ?   Bonus should cover that……can't go wrong really………….."

well that was around 2007, bank mortgage auction passed it in at $2.5M, ….., what a bargain…….everyone there thought so, but there are so many for sale in Palm Beach, and there is no rush, who knows maybe next month they can get a real bargain…

(how is Perth's top end Harb holding up ????   Cough, cough….)

and are we there yet, nope, still a little ways to go…

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb
    ummester wrote:
    wealth4life.com wrote:
    Hello 888,

Which means, quite literally, all that remains is for the bottom to fall out of the market.

And for that to happen all you need is a plague to wipe up half of the population. 
    How will the bottom fall out of a $400K market if you need $500K to replace it and because of increased population numbers there is an increase in demand ? 

@harb
    gmh454 wrote:

(how is Perth's top end Harb holding up ????   Cough, cough….)

Wouldn't know about the top end, in my area things are a bit slow and some sellers have taken their properties of the market. I suppose that if you don't need to sell may as well wait until the inflation threat is over.
    A couple of owners decided to move on in the past 2 months and sold for about $200K less then they could have got at the top. Don't know if they were forced to sell or not but since it only cost them around $250K for the H&L back in '02  I doubt they'll be too upset about walking away with only a $600K & a $750K profit. 

Quote:
    " Palm Beach, little weekender, don't really stay there much, maybe 4 days a month, yeah work is a bitch, picked it up for $5.5M, …yeah should do nicely in the future, Oh borrowed the lot, yep the house at Mosman is worth $10M now, ……interest ?   Bonus should cover that……can't go wrong really………

Just wondering, has the $5.5M always been the selling price in Palm Beach or did they ever sell for $500K or less sometime in the past ? 

@ummester
    harb wrote:
    How will the bottom fall out of a $400K market if you need $500K to replace it and because of increased population numbers there is an increase in demand ? 

Some ideas follow. Some could be prolonged but some are impossible to avoid in the short term. I will note those with an *

1 – FHOG boost gets taken away.
    2 – Unemployment keeps increasing. *
    3 – Immigration keeps decreasing. *
    4 – Stock increases as BB leave work and sell both PPOR and investment property. *
    5 – Negative gearing is reassessd.
    6 – Bank lending criterior is tightened further. *

As for the 500k replacement cost, that can easilly decrease.

1 – Land is in a bubble because state govt and developers have been maximizing revenue but soon they will realise that 10 sales @ 250K is worth more than 2 @ 500K.
    2 – Commodoties have already dropped so building materials will end up costing less.
    3 – Overpaid tradies will become increasingly desperate as construction decreases and work for less.
    4 – REAs will start talking vendors down in bids to stay employed.

It's all tightly connected Harb. Already, near me, 4 bedddys on reasonable blocks are getting close to what I would consider worth buying. And they are only 40K more than a tiny townhouse is worth??? Yeah right. The buyers that have been supporting the market these past few months have little to no deposits and have had finite amounts extended to them as a mortgage. Poor buggers have been sucked in by some pretty evil federal policy. That is the only real floor at the moment.

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

Overpaid tradies?? ………. I done night shift work because work is drying up here in Hervey Bay….Once the trade is dead… there will be no jobs at all…. And its dying fast!….

Profile photo of gmh454gmh454
    @gmh454
    harb wrote:

Just wondering, has the $5.5M always been the selling price in Palm Beach or did they ever sell for $500K or less sometime in the past ? 

Guess they did sell for 500k sometime ago.

the guy who told  the storey of the banker who is evaporating before our eyes made the front page of the Fin Review once when Kerry Packer (rest his soul) made the quote of  "he'll never work in this town again", Kerry thought they should tear up a deal he signed and redraft it more equitably, and that was around 10 years ago, and he never has. However he is probably one of the few people in Sydney with an Olympic size equestrian area complete with full sand dressage, within 40mins of the city.

why I mentioned him is that he makes our SMH title deeds pages often, the first time when he sold, his Mosman home in mid 90s for 950K, he had paid only low 400s for it 5 year before. Great deal, especially if you did not know that he spent 600k on it after the sale, only deal he has lost in.

he had one in Palm Beach as well, paid low 2M for it probably 2003, sold it for 6.7M in late 2007 (the peak), sounds good, and it was, the indoor swimming pool with sliding glass wall opening to the 180 deg view of the Ocean, was something the  Olsen twins enjoyed,  but those renos were over 2M, which makes the profit very good, but not exceptional like yours..

people never include the "improvement costs"  when quoting profits, so often very misleading

glad to see your end holding up, but maybe you should keep the tissues handy just in case..

@harb
    gmh454 wrote:

Guess they did sell for 500k sometime ago.

So anyone buying then and sitting on them even vacant would be laughing all the way to the bank even if they sell "at a loss" for $2M. Still, I can see how giving an example of someone who is forced to sell at a big loss would make a much better story even if this is an exception to the rule. 

@harb
    ummester wrote:
    harb wrote:

Some ideas follow. Some could be prolonged but some are impossible to avoid in the short term. I will note those with an *

So FHB won't afford to buy it and will have to rent it, how is that going to to cause the bottom to fall out ?

Quote:

Again, even the unemployed have to live somewhere.
    Btw, single digit unemployment rates were considered low 20 years ago and even the most rabid bears only suggest that rates will only go up to around 7%-8% as worst case scenario. Only a few years ago the current unemployment rates were considered impossible to achieve.

Quote:

From record highs, construction approvals are still below immigration intake.

Quote:
    4 – Stock increases as BB leave work and sell both PPOR and investment property. *

And they going to leave on a park bench ? Come on, you can do better then this.

Quote:
    5 – Negative gearing is reassessd.

Oh goody, I remember the time when they removed it completely. Two years later they were begging investors to come back after house prices and rents skyrocketed. Since most investors are now positively geared or near it they can lock in the low rates for 10-15 years  and keep putting rents up every 6 months.  

Quote:

Last time they reassessed the NG all the major banks were requiring a 25% deposit minimum. Didn't stop prices going silly.

Quote:
    As for the 500k replacement cost, that can easilly decrease.
    1 – Land is in a bubble because state govt and developers have been maximizing revenue but soon they will realise that 10 sales @ 250K is worth more than 2 @ 500K.
    2 – Commodoties have already dropped so building materials will end up costing less.
    3 – Overpaid tradies will become increasingly desperate as construction decreases and work for less.
    4 – REAs will start talking vendors down in bids to stay employed.

1 – $250K ? There is plenty land available at $150K if you are prepared to travel. The only developers near the city are the small developers carving up their own backyards or buying 2-3 older houses on larger blocks and turning them in 6-7 townhouse lots.
    2-Steel may be slightly cheaper but bricks went up. Not sure about Canberra but here in WA electricity prices are going up so guess which way the material prices are heading when energy cost are going up. Add to that the mandatory anti-GW and water saving devices that are added to the materials costs so we can pretend to help stop the GW. – ops, I meant climate changing. ;-)
    3 – Compared to what , the Indian tradies ? That's just a rumor started by grossly overpaid executive to justify why the company is not making enough profits. Nothing to do with the $millions paid to executives for doing absolutely FA for most of the year and them handing them even more $millions in golden handshakes to get rid of the useless ones. Then move the jobs overseas because the labour is cheaper there. And what is our government doing other then handing them more of the taxpayers money ? SFA.  
    4 – In case you haven't noticed the under $500K market is flying out the door and the REA's are doing alright. Besides, how is that going to reduce the replacement cost ?

Quote:
    It's all tightly connected Harb. Already, near me, 4 bedddys on reasonable blocks are getting close to what I would consider worth buying. And they are only 40K more than a tiny townhouse is worth??? Yeah right. The buyers that have been supporting the market these past few months have little to no deposits and have had finite amounts extended to them as a mortgage. Poor buggers have been sucked in by some pretty evil federal policy. That is the only real floor at the moment.

You sure its not you who have been conditioned to see the 4 beddys as reasonable priced ?How much for that 4 beddy 3-4 years ago ? 
    As long as they can afford the repayments now they can always lock in the fix rates when rates start to move up and be set for life. In 5 years time they will very likely pay a lot less in monthly repayments then you will to rent it out.  You can ridicule the poor buggers now for buying a house with little to no deposit but if in 5 years or so they decide to buy another place as PPOR and rent this house to you then we'll see who is going to have the last laugh.
    Rent it for 20 years and you've just paid off the poor buggers IP

@ummester
    harb wrote:
    So FHB won't afford to buy it and will have to rent it, how is that going to to cause the bottom to fall out ?

Because smart investors are staying away at the moment. The governement might move in and buy some areas for public housing stock – at discount prices.

harb wrote:
    And they going to leave on a park bench ? Come on, you can do better then this.

They are going to downsize to rural and costal, which heve already had massive falls but they are going to absolutely flood the market in doing so.

harb wrote:
    4 – In case you haven't noticed the under $500K market is flying out the door and the REA's are doing alright. Besides, how is that going to reduce the replacement cost ?

It's closer to the under 350k market by the time the deal is done. Have you purchased in the last 6 months?

harb wrote:
    You sure its not you who have been conditioned to see the 4 beddys as reasonable priced ?How much for that 4 beddy 3-4 years ago ? 

Haven't been watching closely that long but mid last year they were 500k+, this year many are advertised under 400k and sell for less than 375 in rare instances. You cant seriously tell me that a townhouse is worth 350k next to that.

harb wrote:
    You can ridicule the poor buggers now for buying a house with little to no deposit but if in 5 years or so they decide to buy another place as PPOR and rent this house to you then we'll see who is going to have the last laugh.

Indeed.

Profile photo of leo777leo777
    Participant
    @leo777
    ummester wrote:
    Some ideas follow. Some could be prolonged but some are impossible to avoid in the short term. I will note those with an *

5 – Negative gearing is reassessd.

My personal opinion, FHOG won't be taken away. I think it's just going to be reduced.
    The number of immigration also is still going to rise, because more people will come to Australia to get a better life.
    The negative gearing also won't be reassessed. The reason for this is in the past they did this, and doesn't work, and they put this back to attract investor.

In conclusion, I think we have to think positive that the property market. In the long run, the price will rise. Just buy what we can afford.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.