All Topics / Help Needed! / Two q’s: Moving overseas & depreciation calculation

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of MJTVBMJTVB
    @mjtvb

Hi all,

Would be great to get some thoughts, views, and perhaps some got insights on two questions I got. I am currently contemplating buying an investment property.

1) What happens to you tax deductions if you move overseas in 2  or 3 years and stay overseas for 2-4 years before coming back. It means of course that you don't have an income in Australia from which you can deduct costs, interest. Can you accumulate this for when you come back?

2) Any hints or tips of how you can estimate the house and chattel depreciation amounts without engaging a property surveyor and spending $1,000(?) on a report. I am looking at a small house that is 4 years old and am I trying to understand what my depreciation opportunity is? 

MJT

Profile photo of washingtonbrownwashingtonbrown
    Participant
    @washingtonbrown

HI MJT

To get an estimate of the likely depreciation…

Us the depreciation calculator on our website

http://www.washingtonbrown.com.au

Regards

Tyron

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

If your property is negatively geared, and you have no other income to offset this against, the losses from your RP accumulate, so they can be deducted in future years.

For depreciation, I would advise to pay the money (it's tax deductible) and get a Quantity Surveyor's report.

Profile photo of thinkerthinker
    @thinker

You can accumulate losses whilst non-resident. Have a look for the book "The australian expat – the luckiest person on earth" which has a simple explanation. It also explains depreciation.

Profile photo of thinkerthinker
    @thinker

and a depreciation report should be <$500 :)

Profile photo of Property ReturnsProperty Returns
    @property-returns

Should be <$500

Liam Hannah
    Quantity Surveyor
    visit http://www.propertyreturns.com.au
    special $299 fully inspected

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.