All Topics / Help Needed! / Valuation comes too low

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)
  • Profile photo of YanhongYanhong
    @yanhong

Does anyone have the same problem before? I am very new for property investment.

I had my first PPOR 4 yrs ago without knowing anything about valuation or anything about property investment. all I want is buying somewhere I would like to live in and I can afforded. Then it become IP as I live with my partner now. With the equity I have on this IP (I tried to pay as quick as I can), I got loan pre-approval for purchasing new IP. But when the valuations come back, both are lot lower than I estimated. The 1st I bought for $325K and valued at 330K. the big shock is the one I am going to buy, I was offering $500K and valued at 460K.

People keep telling me that the valuation is becoming lot harder than before. I don't have any comparison on this. All I want to know is if I offered too much. How could I find out the answer?

Thanks in advance
    Yan

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Yan, your borrowings will be capped to what the valuers have provided to your financier ie 80% (without LMI) will be less than $400k. There are 2 courses of action – 1 retract your offer, wait and see if they are prepared to drop their price to what the banks will approve (nerve racking if you are keen on the property). 2 seek a second valuation from another valuer on the bank's panel (or through another bank).

Profile photo of YanhongYanhong
    @yanhong

Thanks I.P. freely,

You are right, I got the problem with finance, I need to either pay 5K for LMI or 15K for deposit.

Most important thing is get the price right. real estate agent argue that valuation is ridiculous, so I am getting the first valuer to do re valuation based on the argue point provided by real estate agent. I am not sure what will come out.

Do you think the same valuer will change the original valuation, if he does, which valuation i should take as real value of the property? It is beyond me.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Yan, a real estate agent's role is to sell the property for the maximum price acheivable for the vendor, they work for the seller and look after the seller's interests. They are not your buddy, friend etc, they are there to seal the deal. They may try to convince you that the property is worth $500k but you will need to get the agent to provide the information on which he has based his opinion (a valuer is specifically trained to analyse sales data and the current market in order to make a legal valuation – REA cannot).

If the agent can prove to you that the value is $500k by providing more recent comparable information than is available to the valuer, then there may be some argument for the valuer to revise his assessment. EG there might be some sales which have been completed but the valuer is not aware of.

Work on the agent.

Profile photo of god_of_moneygod_of_money
    Participant
    @god_of_money

Why you wan to buy something which is 'over value'?

Don't listen to the real estate agent's valuation… it is very dodgy…

It is not ridiculous.. it is the agent that keen to off-load the property

Some of you might not agree that valuation by the bank is paramount…. 

I WILL only buy the property based on bank's valuation….  

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Yan

Perhaps what is lacking is proper research on your target suburb? We bought our PPOR in Nov 07 and am looking for our first IP now. However, there are loads of FHB going around bidding for whatever they can get their hands on, so we have to thread carefully. Did your initial research into the area indicate that the price for the property that you wanted was worth $500K that you offered?

Alternatively, one safe guard is to put in a clause that the purchase is subject to a successful valuation at cost or higher; as suggested by Steve during his recent webinar.

Regards
    Daniel Lee

@yanhong

I am scared about buying overpriced property, especially well overpriced 40K.

Another thing is really odd, does normally REA will speak to valuer? My REA talked to valuer and told him the valuation is too low. so Valuer is asking him to send more information.

Would valuer be influenced by REA?

Participant
    @god_of_money

Would valuer be influenced by REA? NO
    They work for the bank and liable for the mistake if the valution is too high

Get and independant valuer if you are so keen…

Profile photo of ScampScamp
    @scamp

The property that today is valued at 460K will be valued at 400K in 6 months, and at 300K in 12 months.
    Can you afford to lose 200K in the next 12 months ?

@yanhong

As Daniel said, I probably did not do enough research before action. I am very new to property investment, I even did not know what valuation have to do with finance. It sounds a bit stupid.

Of course, there was not "a clause that the purchase is subject to a successful valuation at cost or higher", that means I will loss 0.25% deposit, but I rather lossing this than 12 month later lossing 200K if what Scamp said becomes true or even 40K now.

That is probably the lesson you need to pay. As long as valuer is indepent from REA, I probably following what they say.  I am keen on sound investment not certain property.

wait and see what comes out tomorrow from valuation update, and will keep you guys post.

Thank you everyone
    Yan

@yanhong

Hi Guys,

the reviewed valuation is still 460K on this property. I am not sure if it is still too risky to buy at this price (if I can get) from what I have been reading. It seems it is not very clever to rush into the market with all the FHB. Would it be better after June?

Cheers

Participant
    @god_of_money

I always get independant valuation if in doubt… don't believe REA (bunch of suckers)…..
    in this economic climate, I will just walk away… losing 0.25% deposit is better than 40k down

Did you get independant valuer???

cheers

Participant
    @god_of_money

When I bought my property few years back.. it was listed at 420k… I asked for independant valution… valued at 365k (costing A$200-300) I then put in an offer of A$ 320k… we settled at A$342k. The bank valuation is 360-370k. and I got it revalued by REA few months later for 380-400k. very skeptical !!!!

Always use independant valuer… never go higher than bank valuation…

@yanhong

this is bank's valuer, has been asked by REA to revalue the property, however, the information provided by REA is not good enough to change the valuation. I think that probably the good thing. I will follow the advice that never pay more than bank's valuation.

Thanks a lot

@yanhong

Another question:

If I lost my deposit (0.25%), Can I claim it as deduction for my investment?

Thanks
    Yan

Profile photo of Playa ChickenPlaya Chicken
    @playa-chicken

Yan, I have NEVER heard of a valuer changing his valuation days after writing the figure. Once written, cast in stone for at least three months!!!

That said, you could have 10 valuations done by 10 different valuers all on same day and expect to get 10 different figures. 

For example, I know of somebody (not me!) who had valuation done here in NZ recently which came in at $220K.  She thought that was extremely low and properties used as comparable were all inferior (her property was three bed, valuer used sales from two bed properties and mortgagee sales).  So, she had another valuation done that came in at $280K.  Now, she's totally confused and doesn't believe either of them.  Low one is too low, and high one is rather generously high, but at least used more comparable properties in assessment.

If you don't have experience negotiating (which it sounds like you don't), I would recommend you buddy up with an experienced property investor at your local property investing club (check yellow pages).  Find someone there who you trust and who is happy to go and negotiate for you.  I would even say, decide the price you are happy paying, tell investory buddy if he can get the property for lower than that you will split the difference with him.  Sound fair?  Win-Win for both of you.

Also remember, when buying IP not to get emotionally attached.  There will be many more good deals coming up.

Happy negotiating,

Vicky

Participant
    @god_of_money

Yanhong,
    "…but at least used more comparable properties in assessment.. " probably valid if you buy through a buyer agent…  :-) :P

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I have had an instance where the original val was very optimistic. We asked for a review, it was completely thorough including an independent review by a second valuer and the director of resi valuations for the company. I had extensive discussions regarding the rationale in order to satisfy myself of the sufficiency of the revision (decrease by 30-40%) however it was a valid revision (there was no market interest at the original price).

The valuer was very thorough in his review to his credit, he undertook consultation with the town planner at council, several newer sales in the housing estate, took account of the value of land resumed for road widening (still to be done). The valuer was concerned that he was still too high (I knew what the buyer was prepared to pay, obviously alot less than the original val, but I needed to justify the sale price).

Yanhong, in this instance, I would walk away. 0.25% is a small price to pay for the lesson learnt (however I would still approach the agent to see if they will forgo the penalty – no harm in trying).

As you did not complete the purchase or cannot prove that you are currently a property investor, it may be difficult to prove that you are an active investor (unless you actually go ahead and complete a purchase).

Playa suggests teaming up with a more experienced investor – good advice (or use & learn from a buyers agent).

SNM

Profile photo of Playa ChickenPlaya Chicken
    @playa-chicken

I'm in NZ, so not familiar with how your Ozzie Sales and Purchase contract works, so I'm a bit surprised that you have to lose 0.025% ($????).  Can someone explain that process to me please?

In NZ, we don't pay a cent until the contract is unconditional, i.e. we are 100% satisfied with valuation, building inspection, lawyer has checked title, and anything else that needs investigation.

I always insert a "get out" clause in the contract to the effect ……………..

"This agreement is entirely conditional upon the Purchaser approving (in the purchasers sole and unfettered discretion) all matters that the purchaser considers may touch, concern or affect the property or the commercial viability of the transaction within 21 complete working days after the date of execution of this agreement by both parties.  If notice is not received in writing by the vendor’s solicitor or agent by 4.00pm on the 21st working day working after the date of this agreement of the purchaser’s approval of the property, then the contract will be at an end.  This condition is inserted for the sole benefit of the purchaser."

This means if I don't like ANYTHING, I can get out of the contract at zero cost.

Vicky

Profile photo of AJTSAJTS
    Participant
    @ajts

Hi guys,

New to property investment as well.

I like the NZ way as mentioned by Vicky, but in Australia, most property go for auction, and with no cool off period.  Is that mean we have to do the valuation ourselves before going for auction?

How do we prevent from losing the deposit?

Thanks.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.