Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Does anyone know of a way to regrout over old grout?  We are doing a reno with fabulous mosaic tiles on the bathroom floor but dirty grout.  I have had the floor professionally cleaned but it still doesn't look fantastic.  Because the tiles are so small it would take forever to remove the grout before putting new grout in.  Grout paint won't work either because that will just wear off on the floor. 

Is there a new grout that will adhere to old grout or do I need to commit to hours and hours of grubby work digging out the old grout?

Cheers

K

Profile photo of johnntjohnnt
    @johnnt

Try mopping the tiles with hydrochloric acid.  It is what builders use to clean brickwork and is also used to clean a concrete floor prior to painting.  Mop on and it should fizz a bit.  Leave on for 20 mins or so and maybe do again if still dirty.  Mop off all residue with clean water a few times,  Try not to splash acid!  This will clean grout and also etch it .  You can then squeegee over a thin layer of grout, then sponge over.   You are not really replacing the old grout just cleaning and freshening up.  Use the same coloured grout too.Usually works well………………..

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Warning using pure acid – start with a dilute solution first (acid into water, not the other way around). You may consider a weaker acid first eg cleaning vinegar but you willneed to washit off

Profile photo of johnntjohnnt
    @johnnt

Do apologise for the oversight.  IP Freely is of course correct.  The acid should be mixed with water at I think 10:1.  Acid bought from hardware stores will have the ratios on the label. Wear eye protection too when applying.  It is not as dangerous as it sounds if done with care and common sense.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.