All Topics / Help Needed! / PEST TREATMENT

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of fingerscrossedfingerscrossed
    Participant
    @fingerscrossed

Hi All

My tenant has just emailed me to tell me that their annual Pest Inspection is overdue !!

Apparently landords are responsible for annual treatments.

I have own several properties over several years and have never been asked this before.

Is it our responsibility ??

Thanx in advance

Debbie  

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

As far as I am aware pest inspections are your responsibility, but I don't think there is any obligation on you to have them done annually.  You can do them every six months or you can not do them at all.  I don't see what it has to do with the tenant.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of Tony BTony B
    @tony-b

Debbie

Its great to be reminded of the joys of being a landlady / landlord. It sounds like your tenant may be suffering from the "I'm paying too much rent" syndrome.  Becoming more common as credit and borrowing ability tightens. Then again your tenant may be concerned that termites may eat your asset away and they will have no place to live.  Depending on your  relationship with your tenant direct them to the real estate agent rental manager. I'm sure they will advise them that is of little business to the tenant as to when pest inspections are conducted. Unless your place is over run with pests (I'm sure its not) then I think its up to you not the tenant. If your in Melbourne and need a good, honest pest guy let me know and I will give you his number.

Cheers

T……….

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Sounds like the typical pest controller scam. Puts a card under every door & gets a 60% response. If you are concerned get an inspection done, if you know what to look for, do it yourself (mud trails, leaks, obvious signs of activity etc).

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

Fingerscrossed,
                                 The tenant maybe talking about a pest spray for spiders and coachroaches not termites??
    If this is the case tell them you will pay the cost of the 1 or 2 litre packs you can buy in the shops and get them to do it, it works most of the time with my tenants, it will save you heaps and they can do it whenever they see them building up.
                                 If it is termites, depends on where you live. If you live in Queensland or up north then probably best to get it done, if you live south then as long as you don't have dead trees near by or old wood around the house etc and in a built up area you should be fairly save. Do your own inspection if its close by, can save you heaps and at least it will be checked properly.

Profile photo of newbi2newbi2
    @newbi2

And then again, in the area I live (regional NSW) I get a pest inspection annually, especially for termites. Also, when I had units in Newcastle it was also essential for an inspection annually. So it may be easy to inspect yourself, but it is also easy to overlook a problem and end up with both a heartache and a headache. Honestly, for the relatively small cost, get one done, especially if you havent had one done before. If it is for surface beasties (spiders etc) then I would discuss directly with the tennant as suggested above> As a landlord I never sprayed for creepy crawlies and as a tennant never expected it. That would fall under "occupier upkeep" in my books, especially if it was bug free when they moved in.

Mick

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.