All Topics / Help Needed! / Has anyone out there used insulating paint?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of gmnichogmnicho
    @gmnicho

hello all,

has anyone out there used insulating paint or a paint additave such as 'Thermilate'? My better half and I are buying and moving into an a-frame type house that has no insulation between the tin roof (& external tin walls) so i'm thinking an easy way to insulate the place may be to use insulating paint and/or 'thermilate' paint additave to keep the house cooler/warmer and cut on energy consumption.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated,

Cheers,

Grant N.

Profile photo of Playa ChickenPlaya Chicken
    @playa-chicken

How about some good old insulation?  Pink batts?  Wool?  Styrofoam even?

I can't imagine that paint would have much in the way of insulating qualities!!! 

Kinda scary to think that in such a hot climate as Ozzie someone has built a house with zero insulation.  I lived in Canada for a number of years and we had masses of insulation in the houses because it was cold, and I maintain the same should be true for hot climates, with insulation needed for the reverse reason. 

Vicky

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Grant,
    I've heard alot of good things about insulating paint but haven't actually used it.  A painter told us that good quality external white paint would do the same job, so we painted our (also uninsulated) roof with it, and it wasn't much good really.  Wish I'd spent the money on the proper stuff.  Hopefully you'll get a more knowledgeable post than this.   Good luck,

Profile photo of gmnichogmnicho
    @gmnicho

Thanks for the comments guys! I don't think it's gonna be an option for me to remove all the tin, install tnsulation batts and put the tin back on/replace. I 'spose the best thing to do is nut out all the costs involved either way and choose….just thought it may be eaiser to use insulating paint/additives….their respective websites make some pretty bold claims, but they are trying to sell their products

Grant N.

@playa-chicken

Is it possible to install insulation in the roof  from the inside?  Even thin styrofoam type insulation would be better than nothing. 

Can you post a link to the insulating paint for us?  I'm interested to read what they have to say about this stuff!!!

Vicky.

Profile photo of gmnichogmnicho
    @gmnicho

Hi Vicky,

Installing from inside may be an option…….the links you're after are http://www.thermilate.com.au/ and http://www.insulationsuperstore.com.au/Products/InsulatingPaints/Insultec%20Commercial.php they make for pretty interesting reading, if the products actually work as well as they claim then they may be well worth using.

I wonder if K Rudd's $1600 worth of insulation grant would be able to be used on these products.

Cheers,

Grant N.

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

I know of a grazier in NW QLD who painted the shearing shed roof with one of these sort of products, and made some big claims about how great it was.  Someone else in the same district painted their homestead roof, and found that they hardly needed their airconditioner anymore.  Also consider ventilation (maybe whirly birds) at the top of the A frame.  You will need air intake somewhere at the bottom for it to work well.  Apparantly the combination of that paint and whirlybirds can be very effective at reducing radiant heat.

@playa-chicken

Almost sounds too good to be true doesn't it?!! 

Thanks for the links, quite interesting reading.  If I was considering such an escapade, I'd be wanting to speak with a few people who had used the produce and ask them how they found it worked.  Any good retailer selling the product should be able to give you references to call.

I'm interested to hear how it all turns out.

Keeping an open mind,
    Vicky

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.