All Topics / Value Adding / Any suggestions on a good but cheap way to make a bare block of land worth something worthwhile?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of MisterMister
    @mister

I'm trying to decide what to do with a second block I'm doing , in the view to selling within 8 mths or so . Well unless it proves more viable to rent out whatever I put on it .
    That'll all depend mostly on new industry going up down the road and how demand goes from there. And then of course present times are a little nerve racking to but I do have to do something with it so that takes care of that regardless.

Budget left is a slight problem so it needs to be something I can set up cheaply but with the most value adding for the buck so to speak .

I'm thinking a small self contained transportable say 2 b cabin of some sort . Easy – falls of the back of truck . Cheap , you can pick them up at auctions and all over the place for very little compared to a house .
    It would still fetch an ok rent – I'm not sure how it would sell , not as much either way as a house but I've only spent 1/4 of the price to so .

What about a shift there house . Can get those on the block pretty cheap . Should rent as a normal house once set up and finished . Not sure how they would sell though if sell instead . Do they fetch normal house prices or is there a stigma with them and so much cheaper, do people mind buying them ?

Or what about a kit home . I found a very nice one for not much dearer than a shift house. Mind you still have the costs for someone to put it up . Do they sell ok – rent ok – work out no better than getting a builder builda house there in the end or ?

Or , just get a builder to put some nice but affordable house on it. Depends on the old margin to at the end of the day I know but maybe over time with other people that has turned out to be the best bet , I don't know ?

What about nice driveways and entrances – landscaping's .I'd be interested in anything at all really that people have found good sellers or the best profit margins or renters created from the bare block .

Cheers

Profile photo of MisterMister
    @mister

Or , what about a duplex . If I decided to sell though I reckon duplexes can e a lot harder to sell but then again maybe not I don't know for sure.
    Better rent I guess for the one building , unless that's destroyed by extra permit costs , council hassles and extra costs .

Cheers?

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Someone mentioned to me, in a thread where I was asking for advice, the  idea of obtaining DA for a 'dream' project and selling the block with architectural plans for a lovely home / block of units / whatever and DA.  Not sure if this fits the location of your block, but I thought it seemed like a good idea. 

@mister

Thanks for those ideas SH.
    Unfortunately the situation of that block isn't really suitable for something along those lines.

But either property investors aren't investing right now in here with economy blues or the concept of this place should be re written as over all there is never too many so called creative thinkers around is there , so thanks for yours atleast there are two .

Cheers

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Mister,
    I think alot of people are working under the idea of little, no or negative capital growth at the moment.  Under such an assumption, I haven't yet found anything that fits my criteria performance wise in order to buy.  There may be alot of other people like me, just carefully watching and waiting until the maths says an unmistakeable "yes".  Until that point, I'm happy to keep my money, and my debt low.  While there are some sellers out there now who are ready to meet the market, there are still alot of houses listed at last years prices.  Plus, there may be a bit of waiting and seeing about what happens after 30 June re FHOG.  I'd love to see the stupid thing abolished completely, but I doubt that will happen.  I think most people are in a bit of a wait and see mode, only to be jostled out of it my an uncannily good deal.
    S

@mister

Thanks S .

Yeah no doubt I guess there's a hell of a lot of waiting , holding and watching going on . If you can you'd be mad not to I guess unless as you say an absolute no brainer pops up.

Cheers

Profile photo of Playa ChickenPlaya Chicken
    @playa-chicken

A removal (shift there) type house sounds like you're on the money – depending on what you can find closeby and how much renovation it may need.

Check the council rules regarding any re-building that may be needed after the place has been moved.  I've been caught out on doing a removal once before and had to virtually rebuild the whole thing due to council requiring various parts of the structure  to meet the new building code.

So if you do go down this route, be sure to check the potential house with the local building inspector BEFORE you buy it and have it trucked in place!!!

My experience is that a "shift there" house price should be no different to a "built there" one.

Vicky.

@mister

Yeah I don't mind the idea of a shift house but it'd have to be saving you a sizable chunk on building new or whats the point.

Wonder in Vic if you need permits to just have it plopped onto the block to begin with , not setup just stored there ?

Cheers

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.