All Topics / Opinionated! / Mortgage broker commission and trailing fees rebate

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 124 total)
  • Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

I'm not going to labour the point, AGAIN, but it's $32,000 according to the hurried DCF, OVER 30 YEARS!!!!

And that is only if the fees are put back into the loan. It is not YOU returning $32,000 to the client, the wonder of compound interest increases the savings.

If the client took the cash instead of paying off the loan, the saving, assuming the loan was kept for 30 years (when the average length of a loan is about 7 years) would be a couple of grand at most, or about $100 a year. The client could get the same interest saving by paying an extra $10 per month into their loan. Do you advise your clients of this?

By not explaining how the savings work in your posts and just throwing out a huge dollar figure ($80,000 by your calcs) you are misleading and deceiving the people reading your posts.

I'm sure you are smart enough to know how the savings figure is calculated. By conveniently ignoring the wonder of compound interest you are doing yourself a disservice.

Profile photo of Henry AdamsHenry Adams
    @henry-adams

ok, can anyone here share what we should be asking to the mortgage broker before we sign the deal with them ?
    I’m curious to use mortgage broker to find me a good loan for my IP rather than visiting the Big4 personally myself.

Profile photo of Mick CMick C
    Participant
    @shape
    Henry Adams wrote:
    ok, can anyone here share what we should be asking to the mortgage broker before we sign the deal with them ?
    I’m curious to use mortgage broker to find me a good loan for my IP rather than visiting the Big4 personally myself.

1. Fee’s involved if any
    2. Number of lenders they have on their panel
    3. Top 6 bank they use
    4. Any investment property the broker holds personally and experience in investing

Regards
    Michael

Mick C | Shape Home Loans
    http://www.shapehomeloans.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Same Banks. Better Rates. Served With a Passion.

@henry-adams

Cool, thanks for the reply Michael

Profile photo of SallyFarrow - YourShare.com.auSallyFarrow – YourShare.com.au
    @sallyfarrow—yourshare.com.au

Hi Henry,

Some other good questions would be:

What is the best suited type of loan with features such as offsets, redraws, etc
    What the best rates are and what are the restrictions the lender enforces for those lower rates (no self employed applicants etc)
    How much the broker is being paid for your home loan and for how long they get paid

Did you know that you are actually able to collect trailing commissions from your Mortgage every year (around 0.2% of your loan, every year)
    It's a great way to get back from additional cash every year – considering you are a property investor, it's obviously all about the money.
    Example: A mortgage through of $400,000 could be generating around $800 a year in fees and commissions, that you could be getting back (pay for rates or water bill or some additional mortgage repayments)

Cheers,

@henry-adams
    SallyFarrow – YourShare.com.au wrote:
    Hi Henry,

Some other good questions would be:

What is the best suited type of loan with features such as offsets, redraws, etc
    What the best rates are and what are the restrictions the lender enforces for those lower rates (no self employed applicants etc)
    How much the broker is being paid for your home loan and for how long they get paid

Did you know that you are actually able to collect trailing commissions from your Mortgage every year (around 0.2% of your loan, every year)
    It’s a great way to get back from additional cash every year – considering you are a property investor, it’s obviously all about the money.
    Example: A mortgage through of $400,000 could be generating around $800 a year in fees and commissions, that you could be getting back (pay for rates or water bill or some additional mortgage repayments)

Cheers,

YourShare.com.au
    1300 554 774

Many thanks for the reply Sally,

wow that is good to know, but is that listed in the ATO ruling ?
    “to collect trailing commissions from your Mortgage every year” –> does that means I can tax claim/deduct as negative geared components for that part ?

Profile photo of pokeutopiapokeutopia
    Participant
    @pokeutopia

I’m under the impression that you cannot claim the commission as rebates unless you refinance? Isn’t that the case with YourShare?

Profile photo of Michael.LeeMichael.Lee
    Participant
    @michael.lee

Gidday Pokeutpia,

Back when I owned bSmart, I know that the brokers were able to arrange cash backs without a full refinance. The policy will vary from lender to lender and also on the skill and experience of your broker or borrowers agent.

Although dealing with a regular cash back mortgage broker is fine, they still carry the bias hazards of ordinary brokers. Think about asking your question directly to a pro-consumer mortgage broker or better still a borrowers agent.

All the best,

Michael

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

wots a borrowers agent? Sounds like another name for mortgage broker!

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Terry you must remember Michael from his Mortgage Detective activities.

I am sure he will explain to us what a borrowers agent is.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @terryw

Ah, the legendary mortgage detective!

I am just off going to the doctor now, oops I mean my medical agent. 

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @michael.lee

Gidday Terry & Richard,

Yes.. there has been a username change to avoid confusion with the active mortgage broker called Mortgage Detective and simplify things. Nothing else of course has changed.

Thanks for raising the example of a doctor Terry, but you are probably better off looking at the real estate industry for a distinction.

A real estate agent works for the seller and operates on commission. This is most similar to how a mortgage broker operates, although fair to say, there is no agency agreement as a broker, its an introducer agreement which, in a legal sense, makes the broker neither an agent for the lender, nor an agent for the borrower. Simply a commission based sales professional.

A  buyers agent is a real estate agent who has done their time as a real estate agent and swapped sides to work for the buyer. Same too for a Borrowers Agent. They work strictly fee for service and do not take commissions. If lenders offer a commission or similar, this money is paid back to the borrower.

I hope that helps you both and if you ever feel like working for the borrower instead of commission, you can have a poke around http://www.borrowersagent.com.au to find out more. Heavens knows we need more of them.

Cheers,

Michael

Participant
    @terryw

So you are saying a broker 'works' for the bank and a borrowers agent for the client?

Email Me

Profile photo of Greg ReidGreg Reid
    @greg-reid

Terry,
    I sometimes get clients coming to me from other brokers who only have ever offered one lender to them.
    In talking to a number of different aggregator BDM's, the same story comes across, there are brokers that only deal with one or perhaps two lenders.
    NCCP withstanding, until MFAA / FBAA / whoever or even aggregators themselves step up and say this is not good enough, we will have the perception that some brokers are simply sales people for lenders. They do us all a disservice.

However lenders strongly encourage this behaviour with their volume incentives, or gold class, or white knight classifications (as you can see I am not one of them) to just use the one lender, then I am not sure it will change.

Call a spade a shovel (or a borrowers agent) will not do much either, the unscrupulous will simply change their name or logo.
    Greg

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Greg

Yes, it must happen. but I agree that calling yourself a borrowers agent won't solve it

Email Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Greg / Michael

Perhaps you can confirm how you handle a client with say a $20K loan increase or a client who doesnt want any additional borrowing but just wants to do a product switch (involving a new application with many lenders) or a simple split for a variety of purposes.

Do you charge them an hourly fee ?

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Participant
    @michael.lee

Gidday Gents,

Firstly, there is a real difference between a shovel and a spade, one is for digging, the other is for shovelling.

Similarly there is a real difference between a mortgage broker and a borrowers agent.

A traditional broker works for commission and has no agency/loyalty contract with anyone. Traditional brokers are a significantly more expensive option for the consumer.

The perception that mortgage brokers are professional salespeople is accurately driven by the basis of remuneration i.e. commission. That commission is paid by the lender and variances lender to lender, product to product, feature to feature is vast (i.e. $24,000+ even before you start talking about interest only, fixed rates, loan amounts etc).

This income pressure does not apply to a broker operating under a pro-consumer agreement as any commission surplus to their costs is  passed back 100% the consumer.  As their fees are unlikely to exceed even a few thousand dollars, the cashback to the consumer is very significant and there is no "in panel", anti consumer pressure. However these folks, for the most part, still only make money if they sell a loan.

A Borrowers Agent has an implicit agency agreement with the Borrower. Unlike a broker they do not have a commission paying panel and look not just across lenders, but broker offerings, including cashback deals as well. There is no conflict of interest at all whether you are talking about structuring, lender selection or any aspect of borrowing.

You should appreciate that the word Agent has significant legal implications and, once 160B is implemented, so are words such as impartial, unbiased and independent.

The key thing for borrowers to understand is that this legislation (160B) removes the commission driven mortgage brokers ability to lawfully use these terms and the wriggle room still used by many.

Despite changes in the law, Borrowers Agents will still be able to use the words impartial, unbiased and independent. Pro-consumer mortgage brokers will, perhaps with some limitation, be able to use these terms as well.

In addition to the pro-consumer, anti-commission ethic built into their revenue model, both of these options usually deliver mortgages from the the vast majority of popular lenders for significantly less than the lenders themselves as well as commission based mortgage brokers.

Unbiased, impartial and independent help with your mortgage for less.

Cheers,

Participant
    @terryw

Sounds strange to me.

So a Borrowers Agent (BA) would charge the client a fee for finding a loan for the client. This loan would be the best option for the client with the BA unswayed by commissions or bonuses offered by the banks. The BA would then refund any commission to the borrower despite not receiving a commission so as not to be swayed.

Email Me

Participant
    @qlds007

Thanks Michael would you like to answer my question posted at 4.49pm.

Cheers

Yours in Finance

Profile photo of Greg ReidGreg Reid
    @greg-reid

Richard,
    As a general process, for new clients as owner occupiers I usually charge a fixed engagement fee which is refunded in full on settlement, mainly to sort out the shoppers from the serious clients but also as an indication of professionalism and commitment. For returning clients, I do not charge this. For investors wanting a full strategy mapped out, I charge a fixed fee for the strategy and rebate the up front commission if they use me as a mortgage broker.

A client with a $20k increase, I would generally use the same lender unless there were issues (servicing perhaps) or significant cost differences. Depending on the lender, I may not get paid at all for that.
    A client wanting a product switch, depending on what they want/need, again I look at overall cost to them and will generally offer 3 to 5 different lenders as well as their existing lender and they chose.

I think a bit like Terry, what Michael appears to advocate sounds strange to me also. I have trouble understanding from a licencing point of view how you could operate like that, under a credit rep model, very few aggregators will permit off panel lenders and if you have your own licence, the work required to go into investigating other lenders or other broker offerings is daunting.

I expect a BA (is there such an animal?) is still a credit assistance provider and needs to be licenced. It looks as if the term BA came from the US and adopted here.
    Looking at both the Vanilla Loans site and Borrower Agents sites, they both seem to be able to spin a story but I am unsure on the sustainability of their models and the accuracy of some of their 'facts' or perhaps assertions.Perhaps there is a way to negotiate with lenders so the customer gets a lower rate in lieu of commissions or that the aggregator is happy not to get their cut or perhaps happy to handle commission refunds to clients monthly.  I can't imagine many clients comfortable paying an upfront fee of $2k in return for deferred commission or even a  lower rate.
    Greg

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 124 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.