All Topics / General Property / IP distance to train line

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of _joyce_joyce
    Participant
    @_joyce

Well, I’m not sure if anyone has asked this before, I couldn’t find something similar in my search results, so here goes

To buy an IP, do any of you (investors) out there consider the distance of the property to the train line? I mean, IP close to the train station is good, but IP close to the train line also mean that the property structure is affected after a period of time. How far should the IP be from the train line to be considered a ‘reasonable’ distance to avoid its structure damage within a short period of time? Or better, to avoid affecting the structure.

Or, do you just buy and renovate it over time after the structure changes?

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Generally acceptable walking distance to a station is 800 m (200m to a bus stop).

As for building distances – vibration and noise have been significantly reduced over the last 10 years with new track technologies ie no joins. Damage to houses is negligible.

For some, it is desireable to live near transport (and will put up with any noise), for others they prefer silence.

Profile photo of LucyJinLucyJin
    @lucyjin

i believe 8 mins to 10 mins normal paced walking is ideal. 15 mins can be called "walking distance to the train station!"
    within 5 mins will be too noisy, especially during the night. (of course, that your road is parallel to the railway is a different story)

damage to the structure is minimal, as properties are usually not allowed to be built right on the railway line.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

apparently the nearer you are to a crossing is bad also.

I recently spoke with someone who lives near to a busy train line crossing and the boom gates ringing each time a train comes plus the blast of the train's air horns are annoying every three minutes in peak times.

Profile photo of howardcmhowardcm
    @howardcm

I just brought my first place about a 5 min walk from the train station in Perth

Excellent for getting to work and the only noise I hear is the horn when a train is coming to the crossing
    I'm lucky that even though the train walkway is only 15 mins from Perth CBD trains only come past every 15 mins in Peak hour and only once every so often at night

I usually hear the horn once before I fall asleep and dont here it at all when watching TV or doing whatever else

Profile photo of danielleedaniellee
    @daniellee

Hi, Joyce

Personally, anything between 5 mins to 10 mins walk to the train station is ideal; that is about 400m to 800m, or 5 mins per 400ms.

Not much structural damage can be achieved by the vibration of the train passing by; the drought and drying up of the soil can do more damage to a house though.

As for trams or buses, I agree with IP Freely; 2-3 mins walk or 200ms to the tram / bus stop.

No more than 10 – 15 mins walking (800 – 1200ms) from a major shopping strip or minor shopping centre with around 60 shops.

Regards
    Daniel Lee

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.