All Topics / Help Needed! / Planning to visit Sydney………..need advice!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of robert_657robert_657
    @robert_657

Hello everyone, I have been planning to visit Sydney with my family. Since, I am real busy with my hectic schedule; I thought that it would be a good place to relax for some days with my entire family. The reason I am here is that I don’t have any close associates that have been there,  so I need advice from you people to help me know what are the do’s and dont’s that I need to take care of……..please do advice me on this.

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

I went to Sydney and stayed at Bondi 15 years ago and I found that a boarding house is a lot cheaper to stay in than a posh hotel/ motel. You also get to meet interesting people.

You will have no need for a car in Sydney. So if you take your car up there you need to have somewhere to park it as parking in Sydney is a nightmare and extremely expensive plus the traffic is also a nightmare.

Most people in Sydney use Taxi, Bus, Ferry or Train to get around . You may wish to try out the mono rail while in Sydney it is a tourist attraction.

Get an everywhere transport ticket if you are holidaying as the ticket system is a lot different to Melbourne and the rail staff are less than pleased to help you.

The sky tower is an interesting place to visit as well as the aquarium. Tooronga Zoo may be a good place also to take the family.
    With the everywhere transport ticket you can go on a ferry ride across the habour. (You need to confirm this when buying ticket)

Do not take family to Kings Cross as it is not suitable for minors at night.

When I was at Sydney I found the bus service was excellent and ran 23 hours a day.
    Be aware that some bus stops are integrated with the train station that is not visible because it will be underground.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Depending upon your travel plans – try to avoid staying in the city. Consider North Sydney, North Ryde (new train line opens late Feb), Chatswood, Artarmon, closer to town – around Central Station (YHA), Strathfield, Parramatta.

You'll need to remember that the further out of the CBD that you stay, the more likely it is that you'll need a car.

There is a train station at the airport – cheaper than catching a cab into the city.

Parra is a good halfway point between the city & the blue mountains, there is also access to the city ferry.

Profile photo of rafuelrafuel
    @rafuel

Sydney is a good place and going with your family is just a great idea. While Australia is a "big country" the urban hubs of Sydney and Melbourne and their surrounding countryside can provide guests with days or weeks of wonderful experiences. Within two hours of Sydney you can be in the beautiful World Heritage Listed Blue Mountains, enjoying quaint villages or exploring a fabulous wilderness of this National Park area. If your desire is for fine food and wine then look for Hunter Valley tours. For the accommodations there, I would advice you to go with resorts united apartments and resorts which are independently owned and operated and are located in some of the most beautiful destinations.

Profile photo of Event HorizonEvent Horizon
    @event-horizon

ipfreely is missing the point.

If you want to go to sydney, why stay in the middle of know where, parra north ryde, dont agree with that at all…If you want to experience the place than I suggest you stay somewhere central or by the beach/harbour.

parking and traffic……..look it ain that bad…………peak hour is really no different to the worst of brisbane or melbourne traffic it just lasts a bit longer generally…parking is expensive as it is in most cities however it depends on where you want to go. Generally outside the CBD parking is relatively easy, if you want to see the best of the city I recommend getting a car and street directory and just explore the place. Balmoral, Nelson park, Bondi, Coogee,Tamarama, Bronte, Manly, Shelley Beach, Palm Beach, Camp Cove, Whale Beach, Bilgola Beach, Zoo, Opera House, botantical gardens, galleries, museums, cliffton gardens, the bridge,

You can spend 20yrs exploring sydney, its pretty stunning

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.