All Topics / Value Adding / Built-in robes – IKEA?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

Hi – we want to put built in robes into a unit.

Has anyone used IKEA for this?

If so, how did you go?

Any other suggestions?

We did look into getting it done and cost too high.

thanks,
    Carlin

Profile photo of benno79benno79
    Participant
    @benno79

Hey Carlin,

At our apartment we had a wardrobe with three hinged doors and fixed shelving / clothes rails on the inside. The third door was a hassle with two people sharing it and the fixed shelves are frustrating.

I took off the doors, gutted and repainted the inside and fitted it out with the 'Antonius' wardrobe system from Ikea.  We are happy with the result as it was good value and is fully adjustable.

Next week we are getting Stegbar to come and fit mirrored, sliding doors.

Let me know if you want any more detail / pictures
    Ben

Profile photo of Playa ChickenPlaya Chicken
    @playa-chicken

You're SO lucky to have IKEA in Aussie  it was one of my all time favorite places to shop when I lived in Canada.  Unfortunately IKEA hasn't made it to NZ yet.

Vicky — pining for an IKEA fix!!!!

Profile photo of islandgirlislandgirl
    @islandgirl

I put Ikea wardrobes in my IP.  They were a great alternative as they come flat packed and are really easy to put together.  Admittedly it was a pain trying to organise transport and loading the stuff yourself.  You definately need to bring a friend! 
    Don't forget the handles like I did and had to make a second trip to get them.  And be careful about the accessories you put in.  They can very soon add up and before you know it you've spent more than intended.

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Going to IKEA with measurements to see what we can do. Will checkout that Antonius system Ben. Gather it was cheaper to get the doors from Stegbar.

cheers,
    Carlin

Profile photo of Eco BuilderEco Builder
    @eco-builder

The gear you get from Ikea is very well designed.
    However it all still comes from China, and you do get what you pay for.
     guess it's horses for courses, a bit like comparing a Mercedes and a Lada. They are both motor vehicles, and do the same thing, but one will outlast the other and looks way better!
     Now that said- I hear of people spending dollars on Plasmas, DVD for the car, etc etc, yet when it comes to spending a litle on improving their property, the pockets get very short!

Coming back to Ikea, i have installed around 40 odd kitchens and bathrooms for people who have purchased Ikea units.
    At the end of the day they looked OK (Not great) cost around the same as a local cabinet maker would charge (As Ikea are all modular and need modifications in most cases).

I personally would never ut one in my own home, but then i have the luxury of being in the game

hope this helps somewhat

Adrien Mamet
    http://www.mametconstructions.com.au

Profile photo of benno79benno79
    Participant
    @benno79
    carlin wrote:
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

Going to IKEA with measurements to see what we can do. Will checkout that Antonius system Ben. Gather it was cheaper to get the doors from Stegbar.

cheers,
    Carlin

Carlin,

The Ikea doors come in one size fits all…which didn't fit what I needed!  Plus fitting sliding doors is a little tricky, especially with an out of square house like mine.
    Ben

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.