All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Council’s records say no plans exist for this property

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

We had our conveyancer do an archive search on a property we are wanting to buy.  Got home today to find a letter from them saying that no plans exist for the property in the council archives.

Does anyone know what the ramifications are for this situation?  The house has been there for at least 40 years.  It is well built.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

That is not an unusual situation. I remember that Bankstown council lost all of its records about 15 years ago in a fire when the council chambers were destroyed.

Get your buildiing inspection done, carry out the usual searches with the water board (or dial before you dig). If there seem to be no anomalies, go for it.

Profile photo of Boshy888Boshy888
    Participant
    @boshy888

The building and pest inspections are all good and we know where the pipes are.  Just wondered what the legalities are especially if we decide to extend or put in an extra garage.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

It shouldn't cause any issues whatsoever. If they can't prove what is there, then you may be able to get away with a little more.

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

You may have some concerns.  Recently there was a situation in QLD where a man couldn't sell his house because the council said it didn't exist as there were no plans.  They wanted some ridiculous amount to rectify the situation.  The problem was eventually solved when one of the TV programs got involved and the council had egg on its face.  One question asked was if there were no plans for a house then how could the council justify charging rates etc.

Participant
    @boshy888

Will be checking with the conveyancer and council today to find out more…

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

Boshy888,
                       I had something similar once. I went to buy a house and the council said they had no inspections done for the steel work etc in the foundations and walls ( it was in a cyclone area ), thus wouldn't give the go ahead. But said they had some magnet or something to clarify it had some steel in it but couldn't say what size etc. But wouldn't ask for house to be pulled down, but wouldn't allow any extensions etc.
                    In the end I didn't buy it, but it costs me $1000 in solicitor fees etc down the drain.

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

I wouldn't worry too much over the issue, try finding the approvals for a californian bungalow, federation or victorian house. Of more concern is whether it is sited on the correct block, within the boundaries and sewer/water services are approved by water board etc. If the building is 40 years old, it will predate any Australian Standard, predate Ordinance 70 (NSW) etc – your building report, survey etc will be more important (and the house has stood the test of time – if you consider the life of a house is 40 yrs anyway).

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales

Check with the council concerned about how this might affect your future ability to develop, improve or onsell the property.  Councils are a law unto themselves and sometimes can be very unreasonable, and totally lacking in IQ.  It would be good if you can get some sort of written statement from the council, but the mere request might just scare them into saying or doing something ridiculous.  I hate councils.  They should be abolished.

Participant
    @boshy888

Thanks for feedback.  After speaking to council and others we have decided to try and exchange subject to the survey report showing the house is inside the boundaries.  We feel pretty confident that it is. We will have to pay for it but it will give peace of mind.  The builder of the house had a very good reputation we found out after a bit of sluething.

I think some council personnel may make silly decisions because they are terrified of having their butt kicked and through lack of knowledge. 

Profile photo of SHalesSHales
    @shales
    Boshy888 wrote:
    I think some council personnel may make silly decisions because they are terrified of having their butt kicked and through lack of knowledge. 

Boshy, you have this the wrong way round.  They make silly decisions because their brain is located in their ar*e and their IQ has been depleted by all the but kicking they have received.  There are very occassional exceptions (ie, hi IQ council employees), but they are usually corrupt.

Sorry, I let my prejudices show. 

Participant
    @boshy888
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.