All Topics / Legal & Accounting / dual occupancy in NSW

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Profile photo of lakeinneslakeinnes
    Participant
    @lakeinnes

Hi there,
                does any one know the legalities of doing the following?

I have a 3 brm house in regional NSW that I may be able to physically divide into a 2br flat & a 1 Br granny flat to maximise rental returns. This would involve a small ammount of work to divide in 2. Already having one of the Brm's with an ensuite and kitchenette, I would just need to create an internal diving wall (not fire rated as a usual complex would) and an new external(froont door) for the proposed 2br flat side of the house.

I was wanting to legally leave it a s a house ( not have it approved as 2 flats)  but have 2 leases for bed rooms with in the one house ,where all they would share was an outside laundry. I understand I would need to include Water and electricty in the rent as its all one the one metre.

any comments would be appreciated.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Be warned that council may crack down on this as you will need to get plumbing installed for a 2nd kitchen/bathroom (mods approved/stamped by the water board). There are also fire safety issues to be aware of – if you do not have proper fire separation between the two dwellings as well as wired smoke detectors then you will have to face the consequences if there is ever a fire causing injury/death.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.