All Topics / General Property / Rental property management fees

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of jtsrobertsjtsroberts
    @jtsroberts

Hi,

Just wondering about other ppl's opinions on why the management fee for rental properties in the ACT is so high?

I have an investment property in Canberra where I am charged 11% incGST for the monthly management (as competitive as I could find for a decent real estate agent). However, locally in NSW, it is more like 6-8%.

Profile photo of sianleesianlee
    @sianlee

Hi,

I found that when we first moved here as our investment properties are in QLD and we were paying 7%. I have two in the ACT now and just rang around til I found someone to take out all the fees and charge 10%inc. It was hard to find, and to be honest the other pm's i spoke to were pretty incomptent. I saw a new company Peake Property and met their management and they seem to be keen. They are offering a low 4% rate. I am considering giving them a go.

Cheers

SS

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

The cost of licensing in the ACT is almost double than in say NSW. In the ACT it will cost an agent $596 for their licence compared to $315 in NSW. This will obviously contribute to the fees charged.

Profile photo of crjcrj
    Participant
    @crj

Yes $5.00 a week in additional licensing costs is going to make it easy to justify charging an extra 2% (say $6.00 per week) per property.

On the other hand having a good managing agent is worth a few dollars a week.

Profile photo of LockymacLockymac
    @lockymac

In WA the fees are usually 9-10% So not far of ACT either

Profile photo of FinSpecFinSpec
    @finspec

Have to say, it's so much better in in NSW – I've got a great propery manager and would not give them up even if someone offered to do it for free.  Sydney is a much more competitive market, however the costs are not really lower for running a property rent roll.
    Bit by bit, competition will push prices lower, but it takes time!

Profile photo of therunningmantherunningman
    @therunningman

Hi FinSpec,

Can i please ask – who is your property manager in Sydney?

Thanks

Profile photo of ErikTyler80ErikTyler80
    @eriktyler80

Hi jtsroberts,

I've just joined this site as I'm looking for other investors / real estate agent's etc to network with.

By way of introduction, my partner and I own 6 investment properties in Canberra, and we also own a real estate agency called LIVEin

Our property management division currently manages 290 properties, and we charge 7% management fee's, while utilising professional photography, high definition video tours, and the assurance of having the same property manager for life. We have only lost 2 clients (both of which we disengaged).

I don't mean to highjack this thread with self-promotion, but I completely understand your position in being frustrated at the huge fee's charged by property managers in Canberra, whilst not giving the best level of service.

To the moderator – I apologise if this is outside of the rules and regulations, please be assured that I am not in the habit of self-promoting, and can assure you this won't be a continuing theme.

Property investment is close to my heart, and I am frustrated for investors at paying high management fee's.

I would obviously be delighted to discuss further with you, so please visit http://www.livein.net.au to see how we do things differently :)

Cheers

Erik Tyler – Managing Director, LIVEin

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.