All Topics / General Property / Asbestos Book

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Asbestos Audits QueenslandAsbestos Audits Queensland
    Participant
    @aaq

Hi Guys

Just started watching Steve's Road to Riches DVD and in the first hour had three aha moments.  I have written a book on asbestos in houses but until I watched Steves DVD had not really thought about the questions people really wanted answered and my approach to marketing it, it was more a blurting out of what I thought people wanted to know, so ……..

I invite all and sundry to give me at least 20 questions I can answer in my book about asbestos!

since this forum would have to be the most concentrated group of home renovators and purchasers of houses in Australia that I can ask at one time.

Hope you enjoyed Australia Day and give me as many questions as you want answered.

Brian & Cindy

Asbestos Audits Queensland | Asbestos Audits Queensland
    https://asbestosaudits.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Any asbestos questions ask me.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

As each state has different requirements regarding licensing of contractors & disposal – provide a general guide (with links back to Workcover websites).

How much ac sheeting can a non-licensed person remove and dispose.
    What is the appropriate PPE which should be worn.
    Should I do an asbestos removal course to learn about the hazards of handling AC?

Profile photo of qldeddiesqldeddies
    @qldeddies

Is there any problems raising / lifting a house containing asbestos sheet walls ? Does it add to the cost, or make a difference at all ?

Also, can asbestos walls be simply covered with gyprock …. is there any considerations necessary first ?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Removal is probably the best solution (get it done before raising the house), this will minimise any risk of exposure if a sheet cracks during the raising process as old asbestos is quite brittle. Covering over the sheeting will lead to issues in the future if someone working on the house is unaware of the sheeting hidden under the plasterboard and drills into the sheets.

Profile photo of Asbestos Audits QueenslandAsbestos Audits Queensland
    Participant
    @aaq

Hi qldeddies,

Scott is right remove it prior if you can, cracking and failing to supports its own weight when lifted or moved is a common problem also blow out of panels sometimes happens in transit. But if you look in most house removal yards there are plenty of house covered and full of asbestos sheeting also some house removal yards have there own asbestos removal team and will remove it for you in their yard.

In Qld encapsulation of asbestos is still legal, covering over will thicken the walls and you still have problems when you want to run any services.
    Also any Qld Health law that came out last year once a residence becomes a workplace (employing anyone to work on it including moving it) then you are supposed to comply with WH & S rules which require an asbestos audit to find asbestos and report and assess it and show this to anyone working on it. In practice because there have been no prosecutions and the Councils don't want the responsibility for asbestos it rarely happens.

But believe me its better to get it inspected now than after you have endangered yourself and family (you take the dust home even if no one else from your family works or lives in it).

Also many councils will not accept a house moved into it if it contains any asbestos ie redlands, Ipswich, Beaudesert (sorry scenic Rim)
    Email me direct [email protected] or call on 0407756440 and I might be able to help you. This weekend I'm off to Melbourne for the RP4 seminar.
    Brian Sketcher

Asbestos Audits Queensland | Asbestos Audits Queensland
    https://asbestosaudits.com.au/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Any asbestos questions ask me.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.