All Topics / Help Needed! / buying with a right to early access

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Profile photo of frosty1frosty1
    @frosty1

Hi,
    Could someone please tell me what the procedure is for having 'the right to early access ' is? (before settlement)

If i want to buy a property with say, 60 or 90 day settlement.

And after building and pest inspections and finance is passed and approved.

And if i accept responsability for any damage ( take out early insurance ).

The vendor would have to be willing to accept this condition.  ( If they want to sell their house……)

Assuming the house is vacant anyway.

I would want to do this for the purpose of inexpensive clean ups and renevations.

If the vendor agrees to this,

Would the agent draw this condition up and include it in the contract for me to show my solicitor and sign?

Or do i need my solicitor to prepare something?

Or do i request the vendor produces something for me to sign?

Some people say, what if you spend money on the property and the sale falls through.

But how could it?,

If all proff inspections are done and everything is approved and signed,  aren't we locked into an agreement that must go through.

Any comments or advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Frosty.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Hi Frosty

Agents can't give legal advice, so do not get them to add clauses. Check with your solicitor.

Settlements do fall over sometimes. Various unexpected things can and do happen such as major accidents etc where you can't think about continuing. Vendor may also just refuse to settle and then you may have to take legal action which could take months.

Also another possibility is if you or the vendor is sued. There was a case in NSW a few years ago Black v Garnett (from memory) where some exchanged contracts on a property. The vendor was then sued and a writ (due to a debt) was lodged on the title to the property on the day of settlement just after the purchaser's solicitor did their final checks. Because the writ was registered first the vendor did not have clear title and the transfer could not be made. The property sale didn't go thru.
    Not sure what happened after that, but the vendor would have had their property forceably sold and the proceeds taken to satify their debt. The purchaser could have sued the vendor, but they would probably have been without any equtiy and going bankrupt.

This could have been prevented by loding a caveat as soon as you exchange contracts. That way you should have priority over subsequent writs etc.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Here is the correct details:
    Black v Garnock (2007) HCA
    http://www.hcourt.gov.au/registry/matters/JanFeb07/Black-Garnock.pdf

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of frosty1frosty1
    @frosty1

Thanks Terryw,

I guess if you wanted to take the risk,

You could  do only labour intensive work.

That way you only risk losing your time which is still money,

But, at least your not risking thousands of dollars worth of materialistic things.

Out of all property sales, i'm not sure how many people do this and then run into trouble.

But i guess it can happen.

Thanks.
    Frosty

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Hi Frosty

To answer your question, get your solicitor to draw up the early access clause.  That way you get what you want.  The most open ended clause is to the effect of "the vendor allows the purchaser access to the property prior to settlement for the purposes of renovation".  That clause gives you a lot of latitude.  If the vendor has a problem with that clause, then let them come back with a tighter clause.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of frosty1frosty1
    @frosty1

Hi Linar,

Thanks for the response,
    I will talk to my solicitor if i go ahead with the property.

Frosty

Profile photo of maree_bradrossmaree_bradross
    @maree_bradross

we had early access – don't remember anything special in the documentation though. The owner was happy as the property was vacant and would rather it be looked like it was being occupied

Profile photo of carlincarlin
    Participant
    @carlin

We've bought two places that we had the condition of access before settlement on. We had no problems at all, and got the work done (cleaning, painting, minor repairs) and tenants moving in day after settlement. Cashflow from day one – we love it!

If you don't settle in time you run the risk of vendor benefitting from any work you do, but just need to ensure you DO settle on time!

The document here in SA is called "Licence to Occupy" and all agents know about it, even if they don't promote it.

cheers,
    Carlin

Profile photo of 350Carolyn350Carolyn
    Participant
    @350carolyn

We’ve bought two places that we had the condition of access before settlement on. We had no problems at all, and got the work done (cleaning, painting, minor repairs) and tenants moving in day after settlement. Cashflow from day one – we love it!
    If you don’t settle in time you run the risk of vendor benefitting from any work you do, but just need to ensure you DO settle on time!
    The document here in SA is called “Licence to Occupy” and all agents know about it, even if they don’t promote it.
    cheers,Carlin

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.