Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

I have a CGT question

If I have a property in a trust that has incurred several losses over the years, mainly through negatively gearing, can see a property in that trust for a profit and offset any CGT against the losses?  Or can I only offset capital gains against capital losses?

Cheers

K

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Generally, you can offset capital gains against revenue losses.

Profile photo of eddieceddiec
    @eddiec
    Linar wrote:
    I have a CGT question

If I have a property in a trust that has incurred several losses over the years, mainly through negatively gearing, can see a property in that trust for a profit and offset any CGT against the losses?  Or can I only offset capital gains against capital losses?

Cheers

K

Also need to ensure that the trust has made a Family Trust Election (assuming this is a DT) at the relevant time before the carried forward losses, whether revenue or capital, can be recouped.

Eddie
    [email protected]

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

I won't claim to be an expert on trusts (far from it) however if the property was not in a trust then you can only offset capital losses against capital losses and costs against income. Capital losses can be carried forward indefinitely. You are unable to distribute losses from a trust to the beneficiaries, so your cap losses must be offset within the trust.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.