All Topics / General Property / TAFE Property Investment Programs

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Profile photo of Michael and LorettaMichael and Loretta
    @michael-and-loretta

Hi all.

I have noticed that a lot of TAFE's are offering a 20 week course in Property Investing. The course costs $1834 at the Gold Coast TAFE.

Just after input to see if anyone has completed this course and how they found it and any other opinions.

Thank you all in advance.

M & L

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Looks like a much better bet than any of the compressed 'education' provided by the spruikers or non-accredited parties. If you have ot the time, it is probably worth a look, discuss it with the head of the school and see where it takes you.

Remember that a 20 week course will give you a lot of information at a rate that you can take it all in, no pressure to buy someone's overpriced book, dvd or 'system' and plenty of time to raise questions with an experienced crew

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

One would hope that those providing the course have the numbers on the board to support their views rather than just academics espousing other peoples theories.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Did the course in 2007 and loved it.  There is no "barrow" to push, most of the lecturers are property investors themselves and so they walk the walk.  Just about every aspect of investing is covered, from finance to legals to renovating to developing.

If you want to get a pretty detailed overview of property/investing and you don't have a particular strategy in mind, then in my opinion, this is the best value for money course around.

Given the number of cynics on this forum (that includes you Michael888!) I should add that I have no involvement either with the course or TAFE.  I just think that credit should be given where credit is due.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888

Hi K,

not cynical, just sceptical. Cynics don't create wealth. I personally spend several thousand dollars each year on courses, seminars, books, DVD's, CD's, etc on many topics, such as property, shares, mindset, and other personal development pursuits.

And if this is the course by Peter Koulizos et al, I agree the syllabus is sound. I haven't done that particular course per se, however have heard Peter speak on numertous occasions and agree, he walks his talk.

I have also done one of the short compressed style courses to which Scott alludes to by Carly Crutchfield and my  posts throughout this board have been positive and, I also, have no affiliate marketing gain from such either.

Agree with Linar, give credit where credit is due. What I become annoyed with is spruikers who provide very little by way of knowledge, runs on the board ( as C2 mentions) and even less in after sales support/mentoring, etc., whilst promising the world to unsuspecting newbies.

Michael and Loretta, given that your $ 1834 will soon return very little in the bank, it appears better invested in your education where the yield and return on your investment will be higher and lead you both to make more informed investment decisions. Good luck with your journey.

Profile photo of Michael and LorettaMichael and Loretta
    @michael-and-loretta

Thanks, Linar & Michael for your input.

I agree with Michael that there are seminars that are out to promote their own end…. been to some of them years ago.

When I Rang Gold Coast TAFE about the course yesterday, the lady that I spoke to was very keen on the course heself as she has heard it was very good.  I have enclosed a brief summary of the course as supplied by TAFE for your viewing.

Regards,

M & L

Property Investing Promgram (CNQ19)

Over the 20 week course, our experienced team will lead you through the '9 Steps to Successful Property Investment' and give you valuable exposure to the practical aspects of the market that include:

• Networking dinners with senior industry professionals and local property developers
    • Off campus field trips
    • Online access to relevant industry data (usually only available to real estate professionals).

Program

Topics :
    • Getting yourself ready to be a property investor
    • Setting your investment goals
    • Create your investment strategy
    • Buying and selling property:  'What's it all about?'
    • Investing in property:  the good, the bad and the ugly
    • Common building styles and faults:
                  – site visit to a renovators 'dream' property
                  – presentation from builder/building inspector
    • Analysing property as an investment
    • The importance of research:  know your market
    • Understanding how valuations work and how that impacts on your overall decision and investment strategy
    • The role of the Property Manager
    • How to finance your property
    • The tricks and traps of contract law
    • What you need to know about property law to protect yourself
    • The ins and outs of tax and how it affects you
    • Renovating for profit:  What to look for
    • Property development: Building for profit
    • Researching property trends:
                  – 1 day field trip
                  – top 20 areas to invest
                  – attending an auction.
    Career Prospects :

This course is intended for those with a passion for property who want to turn that passion into profit, rather than those looking for a career or qualification. This course is not aimed at students who would like a career in the real estate sales industry.

Delivery Method :

The lecturers and guest speakers for this course are all experienced personal investors themselves. They bring a wealth of expertise to the program. Some of the lecturers include: Suzie Crawford, a successful property investor passionate about helping others to become the same; Emma Jeffries, a real estate agent and personal investor; Johanna Meerleveld, an architect and personal renovator. There are also real estate agents, mortgage brokers, property developers and valuers who are all passionate about property investment. This team gives you the opportunity to learn from practicing experts rather than by trial and error.

Profile photo of LinarLinar
    @linar

Hi Michael 888

My comment about cynics was in relation to the comments you, others and admittedly I myself have made when a person comes on the forum and sings the praises of a particular company/course/book and more often than not eventually reveals themselves to be linked to whatever it is they were spruiking.  I just wanted to establish that I was not in any way related to the TAFE course.

Sorry if it came out wrong.  I made the comment at about 4.30am and abviously didn't check it before I posted it.  It didn't come out like I intended it to.

Cheers

K

Profile photo of Michael 888Michael 888
    Participant
    @michael-888

No worries K. Thanks for clarifying what you meant.

With 327 posts to date, no one could could ever accuse you of spruiking, when providing support to a product, course, educator or strategy.  

Profile photo of manicmanic
    @manic

Hi,

I am interested in taking this course, however, in Melbourne. Does anyone know if it is held in Melbourne and where?

Alternatively, are there any other good property investing courses in Melbourne? Ones that don't have biased presenters!

Cheers

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

Also after a course in Melb.

Profile photo of wealth4life.comwealth4life.com
    @wealth4life.com

Is it a fully formatted course by TAFE ?

If so it should be in every state.

Funny how a government department would get involved in this … WOW what about the money and who gets the share of it ?

TAFE I really don't think so IMHO

Do you get a certificate?

If it run by TAFE the presenters must disclose their QUALIFICATIONS for giving "advise"

Who is the person giving advise on TAX ??

I'll send this onto the DFT and ACCC for an opinion for you and report back.

Why do you think there are off campus field trips – because the real estate agent wants to sell you a property and get paid 30k then divvy it up with the team … this only happens or starts in Queensland, funny that.

D financial adviser

Profile photo of manicmanic
    @manic

I emailed the TafeSA and got a response from Peter Koulizos. The TAFE course is not run in Melbourne but he recommends this one run at Victoria University:  http://www.propertyplanning.com.au/views/courses/fundamental-course.html

A contact is Angelo Piazzetta. His number is (02) 90172332 and email is [email protected].

Has anyone taken this course and what is their feedback?

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

interesting to see this thread has resurfaced… one year on… so michael and loretta, did you do the course?

Profile photo of Michael and LorettaMichael and Loretta
    @michael-and-loretta

No we have not done the course yet, wisepearl, as TAFE QLD still did not get it up and going. I have recently searched on the TAFE site again and could not see any courses at all – only for shares.

So we are looking for other alternatives where maybe you can meet with other like minded people for perhaps social drinks or dinner to share ideas, experiences and maybe even joint ventures..

Profile photo of wisepearlwisepearl
    @wisepearl

maybe try posting in the general section to see if there's already a property investors group meeting up regularly in Brisbane. I found one in Perth through here and have gone to a few informative evenings.

Profile photo of grantos_champosgrantos_champos
    @grantos_champos

Gday everyone

After reading this post I was pretty interested in the idea of an investing specific tafe course. Tafe teachers are pretty handy and I dont think it would be a case of someone trying to force theyre products on you. Anyway im from the Newcastle, NSW area and found this on the hunter institute of tafe website:

http://www.hunter.tafensw.edu.au/industry/property/Pages/default.aspx

Its down the bottom under "New course: property investment strategies"

I have no idea what its about except for whats on the page. I plan to give the number a call so ill report back with what I find.

Might be usefull to all the novocastrians out there

Profile photo of vonnyvonny
    @vonny

I am interested in this too. Does anybody know if and where in Perth it may be available??

Profile photo of villasdanvillasdan
    Participant
    @villasdan

Hi all

I've been reading the forums for a while and have learnt a lot, but this is my first post.

Can anyone recommend any other Property investment courses for beginners in the Sydney area.

hanks
    Dan

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.