All Topics / Finance / just married

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of dirty sanchezdirty sanchez
    Participant
    @dirty-sanchez

here's the deal, my wife has recently sold her IP. We are looking at putting the $  in my offset account linked to my PPOR mortgage or straight on the PPOR mortgage. The effect on interest and accessability is negligble( westpac premier rocket) we can redraw at no cost .
    The question is on  future options, say we buy a new PPOR and seek to use the current PPOR as an IP , we would be better to keep the money OUT of the mortgage in the offset accnt so we can take the $ with us leaving a debt on the IP for neg gearing etc ?

We are looking at a joint account/mortgage for our current PPOR with offset account  as we have just been married, any obvious issue with future options/taxation etc I earn significantly more than her, better keeping accounts seperate for any reason?

thanks

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

don't pay it into the loan, keeping it in the offset is ideal for the future PPOR>

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Terry has hit the nail on the head.

Dont pay off the loan as the interest on redrawn amount will not be Tax deductible.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of dirty sanchezdirty sanchez
    Participant
    @dirty-sanchez

even when i can redraw from the loan at a click of a button ?

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42
    dirty sanchez wrote:
    even when i can redraw from the loan at a click of a button ?

Yes, because the test for deductibility of interest is, what were the borrowed funds used for? As, in your example, they would be used for a new PPOR, the interest on the redraw would not be deductible.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.