All Topics / Help Needed! / who pays water bill in rented house?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of gattaga6gattaga6
    @gattaga6

hello
             i called the water and they said excess water has not been around for 10 years.my old agent use to charge it i now manage myself.is there a way to make the tenent pay?the lease is up in feb thanks

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Where water is metered, and the tenant is under a recent lease (ie post 199x reforms), there is a provision that the tenant pays for water consumption (it may differ from state to state but see: http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/Tenants_and_home_owners/Renting_a_home/Renting_costs/Water_and_sewerage_charges.html

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

In Victoria particularly Warrnambool i know that the tenant is billed for the water consumption.

Profile photo of gattaga6gattaga6
    @gattaga6
    Profile photo of citrusteacitrustea
    Participant
    @citrustea

Having rented in SA and Vic, I can say that in SA the owner pays water up to a certain amount, and the tenant if excess water is used.
    In Victoria the tenant pays for all their water use. (A better way I believe as u can monitor your water use – important in drought conditions in an already dry country).

Profile photo of elkamelkam
    @elkam

Have you advised the water authority that it's a rented premise and the name of the tenants?

Not sure about NSW, though Scotts post above implies that it's the same as in Victoria, but where a property is separately metered then the tenant is liable for all the water usage charge and the owner pays for the connection/sewage etc. charges. If they know it's a rental then they send out 2 bills. One to you without the usage charge and one to them directly for the usage.

Cheers
    Elka

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.