All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Creating an ABN

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of harvest316harvest316
    @harvest316

The Investors Club are recommending I create my own ABN, as it will help with getting loans in future. Any negative ramifications of this, apart from having to lodge a nil-activity form once a year?

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

If  you are creating an ABN for borrowing purposes, then you will need GST registration too – If you need to declare over $75,000 pa income. You will then need to lodge bas statements which is a pain.

If your 'business' is not creating an income the ATO will cancel your ABN after a while too. However you can get around this if you have a good reason.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of harvest316harvest316
    @harvest316

yeah, will gst register. thanks terry.

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

How do you get around the nil BAS statement for a while Terry? I to was told to get ABN & GST registration for borrowing purposes but put in nil returns. 

What happens if ATO decide to cancel it!

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Vic,

You can lodge a Nil return for as many quarters / periods as you like.

If the ATO believe the ABN is inactive  they may look to cancel it however you would merely state that the business is pending and you need to retain it.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

You can apply for an ABN without registering for GST. When you think your business income – including commercial rent – is over $75,000, you will then need to register for GST. This will save putting in the nil BAS returns.

Participant
    @qlds007

Dan

This is all well and good however you wont be able to obtain finance with most remaining lodoc lenders as the GST registration is less thank 2 years old and is the main purpose of the post.

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Do the lenders look at your capital growth as perceived Income also.

Example salary $80k
    Rent $25K
    Capital growth at 5% on portfolio worth $1M = $50K

So your gross Income is $155K

Is that how the banks look at your calculations for borrowing and serviceability?

I understand that Ed Chan was saying that capital growth was classed as income..

Participant
    @qlds007

Vic

No lenders do not classify Capital Growth as Income.

Depending on the actual wording in the Lodoc Declaration a Realised Capital Gain maybe considered.

Participant
    @terryw

I agree with Richard – unrealised capital gains can't be classed as income. Even if there were realised capital gains lenders would still, generally, not want to include that income as they would say it is 'one off' – ie. not regular income.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of BluegumBluegum
    Participant
    @bluegum

I have had an ABN for about two years now, can i apply for  GST registration and backdate the application?. I believe that low/no doc loans are designed for self employed income, so how can it apply for people on paid salaries?.

Profile photo of Dan42Dan42
    @dan42

Yes you can backdate the date of registration for GST.

Participant
    @qlds007

Bluegum

Yes as Dan mentioned you can backdate the GST registration but not sure i would go back 2 years.

Lodoc loans are primary for self employed clients but there are still one or two lenders (unfortunately some of the better Lodoc PAYG lenders have gone) who under a given percentage will accept PAYG clients also.

Profile photo of fredo_4305fredo_4305
    Participant
    @fredo_4305

I am new to this website and would firstly like to say its fantastic…. It may take a while to sort through all the topics but well worth it
    I have recently set up an ABN (without proper research)  is it as simple as putting a property into a bussiness name or is more
    complicated than what it seems on top of making finance difficult as my Job is the primary income source….

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi fredo

Firstly welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy your time with us.

The main reason why clients register for an ABN is merely to give them flexibility when it comes to finance options.
    If you intend to purchase property in your personal name and your PAYG employment is your sole source of income then probably not required.

Your mortgage broker should be able to explore the options with you.

Participant
    @terryw
    fredo_4305 wrote:
    I am new to this website and would firstly like to say its fantastic…. It may take a while to sort through all the topics but well worth it
    I have recently set up an ABN (without proper research)  is it as simple as putting a property into a bussiness name or is more
    complicated than what it seems on top of making finance difficult as my Job is the primary income source….

A business name is just a name. The person or company or trust behind the name owns the assets

Email Me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.