All Topics / Help Needed! / Underquoting Tradespeople – where do I stand?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of TheWizzTheWizz
    @thewizz

Hi Guys,
    Long time reader, first time poster.

I have recently had a house moved off my block. I then engaged an excavation group to undertake the work in clearing the site. I stood on the site and asked the tradesman how much give or take it would cost to clear my block. The response, $500-$600 max.
    I have since received a bill for the work done, and yup, you probably guessed it – $3000!.

I just want to know, where do I stand with this kind of thing?

Profile photo of blogsblogs
    Participant
    @blogs

Pay him the $600 then tell him to garn get f$%ed. Simple.

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

Well actually unless you have a signed agreement then he does not really have a leg to stand on.

I don't really know the full story So its hard for me to comment,  But if you really think your in the right then I would just pay him the $600 that you agreed on.

And no,  Dont tell him to get F&^%

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Sounds like you didn't agree on a price at the begining and left it open ended. Maybe just remind them they said $600 max.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of grasshopperinvestorgrasshopperinvestor
    @grasshopperinvestor
    TheWizz wrote:
    Hi Guys, Long time reader, first time poster. I have recently had a house moved off my block. I then engaged an excavation group to undertake the work in clearing the site. I stood on the site and asked the tradesman how much give or take it would cost to clear my block. The response, $500-$600 max. I have since received a bill for the work done, and yup, you probably guessed it – $3000!. I just want to know, where do I stand with this kind of thing?

Hi wizz,
    Unfortunately it's your word against his without a written quote (always have any agreement/quote on paper ) and if he can justify the price by a third party quote (Quantity estimator.)………… well you might have to pay ?I would try to pay the $600 and see what he says .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.