All Topics / Value Adding / A block of units thats pretending to be a house

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of mark76gmark76g
    Participant
    @mark76g

Hi,

This is an idea that just popped into my head that I wanted get some feed back on.

Is it possible to build a big house but desigin it in such a way that once a couple of doors are shut
    it became say for example three self contained appartments.

I could live in one appartment and rent out the other two.

A few years down the track if I wanted to sell it I could make a some modifications and turn it back into a house.
    I could do things like put in ikea free standing kitchens that could just be disconected and wheeled away.

This would allow me to build units on land that wasn't zoned for them and aviod the costs and regulations involved in building.

From what I hear its not economical to build a small amount of units like 3 because of regulations. Is this true ?

I would propably be thinking of south east queensland as a location.

How tough are regulations does anybody know ?. Are there any specific laws against doing what im thinking ?

Thanks,

Mark.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

Laws: mostly the BCA & Town Planning regs.

Th building would breach on the grounds of fire separation, smoke detectors, plumbing, fire escapes, exit & emergency lighting, fire hose reels/hydrants, paths of travel, noise separation, accessability, parking requirements etc just to name a few. If there was a fire causing death, you could well be prosecuted under the crimes act (likely charge – manslaughter).

Is a few dollars in rent worth risking lives?

Build it as a brothel, at least you would have a reason for 7 bedrooms, 4 ensuites & a couple of tearooms.

Profile photo of mark76gmark76g
    Participant
    @mark76g

Hi Ip,

Thanks for the info ….

Follow up questions ….

Whats the difference between renting the rooms in a normal house out to say 3 seperate people on three different leases or renting out the strange combo house  that I desribed above to three different people on 3 seperate leases.

People lease out rooms in their houses all the time at what point do they become considered units.
    What if the rooms have ensuits and kitchenettes.

Thanks,

Mark.

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

If you apply make the units self-contained, ie own ensuite/tearoom then the council will identify the units as such and knock back your application as non-complying uses. Have you considered building a boarding house (lots of concessions may apply) or student accommodation if near a uni/tafe?

Profile photo of eldrednieldredni
    @eldredni

I have a couple of Boarding houses I rent out to Students. What concessions may I be able to apply for?

Profile photo of Scott No MatesScott No Mates
    Participant
    @scott-no-mates

Depends largely upon the state in which they are located and how close to the cbd and if they provide 'low-cost accommodation'. Refer to the Office of State Revenue if in NSW (concession on land tax if located within 5km of cbd).

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

A lot will depend on the size of each unit or room.

You could go with an elevated house and build 1 or 2 self contained units underneath.  The elevated could have entrances at both ends of the house and one central room that separates the 2 halves of the top house.  Theoretically upstairs would be a 4br, 2bath rooms, 2 toilets and 2 kitchens but each end is a mirror image of the other.

Another alternative would be to build dorm type rooms that are fully self contained with kitchenette and small ensuite.  The rear doors could lead into one very large room running full length of the 3 self contained rooms.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.