All Topics / General Property / Looking for Building Software

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Profile photo of craigous100craigous100
    Participant
    @craigous100

Hi,

I'm looking for a home/land/building software package.

Can someone help with ideas regarding which software package is best.

I looking for something to help with land and building layout, house and room layout, dimensions, different building designs etc.  Not really looking looking for top of the range CAD software but something that is user friendly and has enough depth that is worth using. 

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Regards,
    Craig. 

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

Hi,
         You could try the new Google sketch. It's user friendly but will probably also take a little while to get used to. But it's universal and you can do things like send the finished model in an email for people to open and have a look in Google Earth.

Probably a bit of a learning curve but it's all free and I think compatible with CAD and others as well.

This link is a Video to get you started and lot's more videos to help you learn it as well once at that channel!

http://au.youtube.com/user/SketchUpVideo

Profile photo of craigous100craigous100
    Participant
    @craigous100
    Profile photo of emptyvesselemptyvessel
    @emptyvessel

How did you go with Sketch-up? I took a look at it and decided I would struggle with the time required to learn and put it all together. And I am a computer geek with plenty of experience with Visio.

Very interested to hear how another "noob" is going. If it sounds good, I might reconsider the time investment.

The other upside is that it gives me a new skill with free software that millions of people are using for all sorts of stuff. hmmm…think I just talked myself into it, or at least one of the other voices in my head has! .

Chat soon,
    empty

Profile photo of js2js2
    @js2

As usual with any program they take lots more time then the glossy video tutorials elude you to. I didn't go into learning it to much. But if had the time and inclination would.

I think it would be worth the time if you have the time and the passion. I also would not mind hearing from anyone that got in and used it and how it went?

Profile photo of craigous100craigous100
    Participant
    @craigous100

Hi Daniel,
    I downloaded the program and had a go at using it but gave up.  I am typically OK at investing a reasonable amount of time learning the program – but not this one.  I'm not absolutely certain that I had the right program, but what I down loaded was dreadful.  I have used other programs in the past which are only marginally better. There is a program on the market which is a "dumbed-down" CAD version for those of use who don't intend to build high-rise projects. Unless anyone can convince me that I should persevere with windows – I'll keep searching for a better program.
    Regards,
    Craig.

Profile photo of WiNmaKlInWiNmaKlIn
    @winmaklin

Hi Craigous. I am new here and this is my first post. I am a bit of an OpenSource fan (and IT Guru wannabe) and I know of and have used (briefly) a program called Sweet Home 3D. It is OpenSource and therefore totally free and transparent (the source code being available gives confidence that there are no viruses, etc). See below for link and info from the site.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sweethome3d/
    "Sweet Home 3D is an interior design Java application for quickly choosing and
    placing furniture on a house 2D plan drawn by the end-user, with a final 3D preview."

I plan on using this software a lot when I actually need it will should be in a few months. Hope this helps you. Also note that you will need to have Java installed. The latest for Windows is "jre-6u11-windows-i586-p-s" (Java Runtime Environment (JRE) from Sun Microsystems).

Let me know what you think and if it was of use.

Cheers
    David

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.