All Topics / Help Needed! / Advertising Billboards As An Investment

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Profile photo of energy4anarchyenergy4anarchy
    @energy4anarchy

Hi Guys,

Not to sure in the industry has given any advice on this – but i can shed some light as i currently am the National Marketing Manager for a Billboard company with billboards across all states (Excluding Darwin)!

To make a long story short – people see billboards and think… "I can do that".

Its not rocket science but the biggest obstacle is finding a client to advertise.

Because everybody has the "I can do that" attitude with the billboards, finding a client who is going to part with $$$ really needs to see the value in doing so. They need to be local, know the exposure in the area etc and then they're going to want it for next to nothing!

Remember – their is soooo much advertising out there. Newspapers, Billboards, Print, Radio, Flyers, TV and blah blah -…. while you might have a great position – it has to have a ROI for the advertiser.

If you have a business, you'd be better off offering it complimentary or as added value to anyone you have a relationship with. Say a contractor, or a client… you'll get more for it out of the long run!

As for door knocking on places and asking them to advertise on the side of your wall… just won't happen!

Sorry – its just too competitive of a market for any old joe to do this. If you do have a place that has the WOW factor, you might be able to…

As for Ad Agencies…no way! They deal with professional media suppliers…. not just the big brands (Nine, Seven, Fairfax etc), but they deal with businesses. You've got to really know how the industry works….

You can't just call up Mitchells (Largest media buyer in Oz) and say, hey, i've got the side of a wall free out in X suburb….

They just won't even consider it!

Good luck

Profile photo of dallen_14dallen_14
    @dallen_14

Yer you are right. I did some research into billboards and it turns out it is just like the Newspapers as far as catering for national advertisers, where you are a player, or you are not. So with finding that out I decided against it as the threat of vacancy is too high. (I am not a big fan of solely relying on the locals).

But yer thats one more non feasible investment option out of the way, and I am sure there are many more to go before I find something that works.

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

Energy, i suppose it depends on the individual and how they find that tennant. Iam about to go threw the process now and i think the hardest part will be getting approval. The easy part will be sticking a 7m x 5m sign on the side of my wall saying billboard for lease and with 30,000 cars plus passing everyday iam sure it will be snapped up quickly and if this does not work i will set up meetings with a few big company's in the area and talk them into leasing the sign, so i think it comes down to how you go about finding that billboard tennant and also the exposure that you have.

Profile photo of energy4anarchyenergy4anarchy
    @energy4anarchy

Keiko…

Good luck to you – but what i'm saying is that often people think its a simple process… and its not!

First off 7mX5 isn't a standard size. They usually come as 24 sheet posters (6×3's) or Supersites (12X3's). Anything outside of this is a speciality that the advertising companies sell.

So with that said, just like a 15 or 30 second Tv/Radio commercial, or a Column Per Inch Newspaper ad… they all come in set sizes/shapes/forms etc … so as to try and foramlize what would other wise be an adhoc industry.

To begin with… by you having 7m X 5m… you're going to need the printing done in welds… meaning – 99% of large format printers print to a width of 3m… To go larger – they call them welds – but its a join.

For that sort of production you'd be looking at around $1500-$2000k. You'd also need it installed etc. You'd also need it designed and so on…

Then – you've got to justify it to the market. Sure, 30,000 cars go pass everyday, but where were are the statistics to prove it. Hell, 50k cars might go past but again – its got to have value.

For some reason, people see billboards and go "Oh, i can do that". And sure, anything in life is possible – but people think "Oh, i can create something cheap and then rent it for heaps"… they don't go "Oh i can create a newspaper, or Oh i can open my own TV Station"…

So for that very reason – the amount of available advertising on Billboards is ridiculouse at the moment!

Anyway mate – create your canvas and good luck to you

Profile photo of keikokeiko
    Participant
    @keiko

will do if council give me permmission, $1500 $2000 is only peanuts so thats okay. I can always do it in vinyl and stick it on canvas that will give me any size i wish for. or i can have it painted on the rendored wall by an artist and theres other ways as well. I actually done a count of the cars passing threw daily and it averages out to 30,000 per day

Profile photo of gary87gary87
    @gary87

I am currently in posession of a large highway billboard (hot dip galvanised) for a client that was unable to pay as this company was liquidated. If anyone is interestes e-mail me at [email protected] for enquiries and i will send all the specifications, engineerings drawings and a few photos.
    thanks,
    gary

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.