All Topics / Help Needed! / Renting out rooms individually to increase rental yield

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of prichardprichard
    @prichard

I am considering purchasing a 4 bedroom home and renting the rooms out individually for a great rental yield. Have you tried this before? Does it work well? Any feedback would be great.

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

It can work out more but lots of hassle – eg. who manages it all, will you live there too? What about energy bills, cleaning etc. You will probably have to cover this out of your rents

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of prichardprichard
    @prichard

I won't live there myself. Electricity bill would be split up equally, cleaning would be looked after by the tenants. I can see potential issues with this though. I would get this professionally managed.

If anyone could share their past experiences with this method, that would help heaps.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

Property Managers arent keen on this either.

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

prichard
                   This is a common thing to do around universities etc, mostly to Chinese students.

If they are all the same nationality they will usually get along together and share costs.

The council don't seem to worry much about it with regards health and safety etc.

But , it can be very risky, you will need seperate locks etc for security.  But, still a risky venture, will be worth the risk and can you sleep at night?? that's the main thing.

Good luck

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

I actually lived on a place where the owner rented out the rooms individually while i was at uni – briefly. There were problems with no one wanting to clean common areas, broken common appliances – who do you blame if no one owns up. generally less care was taken with the place and the yard etc because no one had sole responsibility.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of bayo12bayo12
    Participant
    @bayo12

My partner and I are actually already building a 4 bedroom townhouse in a university area. We are thinking of renting the rooms out and like you would like some more information.

Profile photo of KeysToSuccessClubKeysToSuccessClub
    @keystosuccessclub

Hi there,

A fellow investor uses this strategy very successfully to date with students, and is achieving yields of 12% to 13% in a typically 4 to 5% yield area.

The downside is the time involved.  He would be personally spending 5 to 6 hours a week across 3 properties to make it happen.  You are unlikley to get property managers to do it for you.

Cheers

Mark

Profile photo of hardyard28hardyard28
    @hardyard28

I lived in a student house for a few weeks before finding a rental to share with friends. It was a five bedroom house with six people sharing.
    There were guys from Korea, China, Singapore, two Indian brothers sharing a room and me. Everyone seem to get along ok, we all had a lock on our bedroom so security wasn`t a issue.
    The only downside was the cleanliness of the house, especially the kitchen and showers. The owner would do the rounds every few days and give it a light clean but it was still quite grotty. Things like the microwave, oven and stove had things growing inside them and the showers were full of mould.
    I think this idea can work but you must allow time for a deep clean every week to keep on top of it or hire a cleaner.

Profile photo of carpe_diemcarpe_diem
    Participant
    @carpe_diem

Hi
    I have properties in university areas which I've rented out like this for many years to different nationalities but mostly Australians.  The key I believe is to start with one person or two who you yourself select for acceptability.  You can tell very quickly and see it over a couple of weeks the standard of caring for your property.  It is very important to present the property at a good standard even being quality furnished.  This attracts people who like to live in this kind of environment and who don't want the burden of bringing in a new item (fridge etc) every time someone departs .  These starters then have the choice of taking on the extras eg 2 more for the house so give  them the right to select the extra people required.  They are not going to take on house wreckers or grotty people if they have proven already the standards you started with in initial presentation.  At this point you take over contact with the new ones in terms of the financial transaction only and welcome them in the usual way.  It does not mean the first one or two takes responsibility for the others but it frees you from the continual selection process as tenants change over time.  You check the scene a couple of weeks after and then if everything is ok extend the period until your next visit.  People do not like being told what to do but they usually love the feeling of responsibility being handed over in a diplomatic way.  As far as cleaning the house goes it is there responsibility and certainly if stoves and bathrooms start to get grotty then simply tell them (diplomatically) it is not acceptable and on your next check if the problem persists then give them notice.  The earlier you nick things in the bud for most people they respond……and if you don't do this it gets worse.  The best students are in their 3rd year or postgraduate as most of the newbies have little idea of domesticity, want to party being free from parents and fail a lot of units in their first year…..so not good for your house.
    Carpe

Profile photo of C2C2
    Participant
    @c2

Also a good idea to have ahead tenant who gets a room for slightly less than the others to help manage or to keep the place clean.  Another option is to have a private cleaning service to go through once or twice a day in common areas.
    Far better to charge a higher price that includes electricity and other charges rather than asking to split costs.
    Be fair when charging a higher price and if what you get from the tenants is more than the actual utility costs then offer it back in tea or coffee or some other gesture that makes the place a little nicer.

Profile photo of jlryalljlryall
    Participant
    @jlryall

I have three sub-leased houses around a university in Melbourne. We've significantly increased the rents, by taking a 4 or 5 BR place and providing fully furnished rooms.  We pay a cleaner to go through each fortnight and clean all common areas. For us, it has worked very well, but we have to put in a few hours here and there managing things.  Essentially you've got to run it like a business. If you just sign students up, and leave them to themselves for 6 or 12 months, you'd be in for trouble.  If you build a bit of rapport with them, show them that you value the house and value them as a rent paying tenant, you'll get some respect and minimal issues.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.