All Topics / Value Adding / Which brand of paint do people recommend?

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Profile photo of rudo1phrudo1ph
    Participant
    @rudo1ph

Just doing a reno on a property and I need to paint inside and out.  Does anyone have a particular brand of paint that they recommend over all others?  Inside it's a fairly simple case of painting over decent already painted walls or straight onto new plasterboard.  Outside I'll be painting onto hardiplank which is already painted and also onto new fibre cement board.

Thanks

Rudi

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

depends if its going to be reno & sell or reno & rented out.

Ive used the cheapest bunnings paint ($14 for 4 litre) & its good as long as its not a dark colour. it looks good but isnt hard wearing at all.

there are plenty of professional painters on here & they will probably suggest trade paints, also available at Bunnings. 

Profile photo of rudo1phrudo1ph
    Participant
    @rudo1ph

Ah well there's the thing……..the original plan was buy, reno, sell, but I think the way the market is at the moment we may end up renting it out for a while, so the paint will need to stand the test of time a bit.  Having said that, before we sell, after renting it out it would probably need a quick paint up anyway……….

Rudi

Profile photo of Luke TaylorLuke Taylor
    Participant
    @world-changer

hi guys,
    i just did a couple with "style "brand from big w(white).I got it at sale time for $3 a litre and it is quite a good paint for what you pay.
    Ive also used the "flair brand "but it is very thin. (ok for out side though for a quick turn job.

Luke Taylor | Hope Property Investing
    http://hopepropertyinvesting.com
    Email Me

Property Support,Strategist and Buyers Agent

Profile photo of suavemechanicsuavemechanic
    Participant
    @suavemechanic

spend the money !
    cheap paint = many coats
    i have always felt that if you are saving money by doing the job yourself skimping on the materials as well is not a recipe for success

having said that, i travel to all the bunnings stores nearby when i am painting and go straight to the trolley of half price  "mis tints"
    luckily the policy of hiring back packers and not training them or giving them enough shifts to live off has created a bargain hunters gold mine !
    cheers !

Profile photo of WJ HookerWJ Hooker
    Participant
    @wj-hooker

crashy,
                Whilst not a professional painter myself. I have painted houses in the past and my own house.
    I have used some of the cheaper paints on the inside and they have been fine – lasted over 10 years.
    But for the outside I usually use a well known brand. Always use Solaguard on facia boards etc and get 10 years or more.
    As per World Changer I have used the Big W paint or one that is sold and backed up by a big store is OK, best not to use cheaper paint from corner stores.

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

yes, I used a Bunnings cheapish "int/ext" acrylic paint on weatherboards and it peeled within 6 months!

Profile photo of BuilderBobBuilderBob
    Participant
    @builderbob

I used Luxury paints on a couple of houses , warning big mistake.

Profile photo of rlomenrlomen
    @rlomen

Use Solver paints, possibly not as good as Dulux but they last and look heaps better than any cheap paint.
    Their stores sell the paint cheaper than bunnings will too.

Cheap paint does mean many coats, how much is your time worth ?!

Profile photo of AnaAna
    Participant
    @ana

BuilderBob, can I ask why the bad experience with Luxury Paints? We have used them with a couple of renos in Qld and didn't have any problems.

Profile photo of HousemenderHousemender
    @housemender

We use Bristol paints. 

Go to your nearest Bristol paint shop and say you're a full time property renovator and they should give you trade price – which from my experience is much, much cheaper than Bunnings.

The paint is good too!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.