All Topics / Help Needed! / Help! New to property investing…

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Profile photo of lizzie0185lizzie0185
    @lizzie0185

Hi

Both my partner and i are looking to buy our first home/investment property. We are going to occupy the residence for a couple of years, try and pay as much as we can off it then rent it out. We are both new to this so i would like some advice.

Here are my questions:
    Do i pay body corporate fees on torrens titles homes?
    What do strata fees include?
    Should i buy a torrens title residence instead of strata title residence?
    Who would be the best person to talk to about this eg. financial advisor, accountant etc etc ?

Thanks  

Profile photo of lizzie0185lizzie0185
    @lizzie0185

Any other advice would be great.

Profile photo of Skip101Skip101
    @skip101
    lizzie0185 wrote:
    Hi

Both my partner and i are looking to buy our first home/investment property. We are going to occupy the residence for a couple of years, try and pay as much as we can off it then rent it out. We are both new to this so i would like some advice.

Quote:
    Here are my questions:
    Do i pay body corporate fees on torrens titles homes?

No body corporate fees apply to torrens title properties

Quote:
    What do strata fees include?

Strata fees CAN cover building insurance (owners need only arrange their individual contents insurance), pest control, common water consumption, maintenance and repairs of common areas, common garden maintenance, management fees to the strata company and so on.

Quote:
    Should i buy a torrens title residence instead of strata title residence?

Torrens title may present you with more options for development etc, but strata can also be an effective investment, depends on the circumstances

Quote:
    Who would be the best person to talk to about this eg. financial advisor, accountant etc etc ?

Everyone will have an opinion, but I'd suggest your accountant.

Profile photo of Edvico_kvnEdvico_kvn
    @edvico_kvn

Hi Lizzie,

By purchasing your PPOR and living in it for the first couple of years before renting it out, provides you the opportunity to take advantage of the 6 year main residence CGT exemption. 

I have written an article on this topic which you may find useful.  It contains a simple numerical example to help you understand this very important Capital gains tax minimisation strategy.

Feel free to shoot me and email and I'd be happy to forward a copy of this article to you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.