All Topics / General Property / Share homes – my story of woe

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Profile photo of slallenslallen
    @slallen

In July this year I advertised a room for rent in my PPOR.
    I have had rooms rented out in my house for several years as I find it's a fantastic source of obtaining some extra income to go towards purchasing other IP's.
    Anyway – all went well for 2 months, rent paid on time, we got along well. after  the two months I indicated that I would be looking to rent out the entire property as I was going to move in with my partner who had just bought a home. 
    She  promptly asked if would be alright if I would consider her sister as a tenant who was relocating from Sydney with her family. Naturally I was stoked as she was willing to pay market rent for it and it was good to be renting to someone I knew.
    Thats when the lies started…
    I moved into my partners house, I had spoken to her sister via email prior and all was set for 13 September. The sister was due to meet me at the house on the 12th to sign the lease, collect keys etc, but due to 'an unavoidable family emergency' she was not able to meet me this day. I contacted my housemate who was still living in the home and she advised they would arrange a bank cheque to go into my account and fax me the rental agreement.
    After a very long saga of tic-tacking between my housemate and her 'sister' whom I never met or spoke to in person;
    I was ripped off 7 weeks rent,
    my housemate allowed another person to move into my home by advising them she was the owner and also arranged to charge them rent,
    surveillance cameras were set up by my housemate so i couldnt surprise her by visiting,
    she put holes in the walls from relocating her bedroom furniture – which belonged to me – but i let her use as she said she would pay me for them,
    and numerous other criminal offences were conducted in my home during the 7 weeks I was absent.

My advice to anyone considering a share arrangement – conduct it exactly as you would vet prospective tenants.
    There are some very strange people in this world – and she had about 3 of them in her head.
    Sharers beware!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.