All Topics / Help Needed! / Tenant Eviction

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Profile photo of jambvjambv
    Participant
    @jambv

Hi My agent advised our slack tenants 12 weeks ago that there lease would not be renewed (in QLD) Today is the last day of the lease & & they have not vacated. They are behind in rent (as usual) Spoke to the real estate agent who advised they need to issue a summons to go to court for an eviction hearing etc all of which may mean the tenants get another 6-8 weeks free living. Sureley there is a better way to get rid of these people instead of being held to ransom by them?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

unfortunately the law favors the tenant rather than the landlord. This is why your property manager should have started eviction proceedings as soon as the tenant was behind by 4 weeks to minimize your lost rent.
     Hopefully you took out Landlord s insurance to cover this loss of rent and any possible deliberate damage that may be caused by the tenant during this 6 to 8 week period.

Profile photo of bheal57bheal57
    Participant
    @bheal57

Under QLD law, tenants have 7 days to catch up on rent before you can give them a notice to remedy breach. If they comply, all well and good. If they don't you can then start eviction proceedings (Form 11 I think).

Unfortunately it sounds like the tenants aren't the only slack ones – it might be a idea to start shopping for another property manager.

Also, as far as I'm aware eviction disputes are usually taken up with the RTA, not the courts?

Interesting side note – squatting laws in QLD/Australia mean that even if the tenants are evicted, they may still be able to stay in the property – provided that one of them remains there at all times, otherwise as soon as it's vacant the police can move in and repossess the house.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.