All Topics / General Property / Beachfront property – rising sea levels

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Profile photo of ThamesThames
    @thames

Hello

I have a small property, close to the beach, in Melbourne (for those of you who know Melbourne, my place is beachside of the Nepean highway in Chelsea).

Over the last year, like all of us, I have heard the media place a lot of emphasis on the rising sea levels that are likely to result from the greenhouse effect.  I am not a scientist, and even the scientists don't seem to agree, but it seems that it is very possible that global sea levels will rise by 1 meter by the end of this century (some scientists state the rise will be higher, some say lower, but the general consensus seems to be 1 meter).  To be frank, this doesn't bother me much, as I will probably be long dead by the end of this century (like most of you reading this!), but I am interested to know whether anybody thinks that this will have an impact on beachside property prices within the next decade.  Clearly it will have a significant impact on beachfront property prices (assuming a one meter rise) by the end of the 21st century, but I'd like to know whether anyone has seen a change in sentiment towards beachside property as a 10-20 year investment (everything I have heard is that beachside/beachfront property has appreciated faster and more consistently than any other type of property over the last 10-20 years, but I wonder if this is starting to change as people feel less comfortable about the threat of rising sea levels). 

Personally, I don't think our generation needs to be too concerned about the impact of rising sea levels on property prices in our lifetime as the rising sea levels are going to be relatively insignificant over the next 10-20 years and only will become very significant over the next 50-100 years (although naturally I think we should be more environmentally responsible for the benefit of future generations), but I am interested to know your thoughts on whether this might start to impact on property prices in the next 10 years.

Thanks

Profile photo of ThamesThames
    @thames

PS – As the author of the above question/comment, I would like to add that (as an aside) the environmental changes which will result from the greenhouse effect and rising sea levels are likely to have severe impacts on ecosystems and communities and I am much more concerned about these impacts, than I am concerned about the impacts on property prices – but that is another discussion.  The purpose of my post was not to undermine the seriousness of global warming, but to enquire about how people see the threat of global warming impacting on property prices during the next 10-20 years.  Thanks.

Profile photo of harbharb
    @harb

It may affect prices for a year or two until we get slugged with the new taxes. After that then the fraudsters will be exposed and all this talk of global warming BS and sea rises BS will become as extinct as the dinosaurs. – with the exception of GW taxes which will have to stay because the government needs more revenue to support an aging population.
    The scaremongering does offer some opportunity to buy waterfront properties cheaper and I wouldn't hesitate to use the GW BS to negotiate the price downwards, at least until the honest scientists put out more evidence that GW is a con job..

http://www.icecap.us/

Quote:

Lorne Gunter: Thirty years of warmer temperatures go poof
    Posted: October 20, 2008, 10:26 AM by Kelly McParland

In early September, I began noticing a string of news stories about scientists rejecting the orthodoxy on global warming. Actually, it was more like a string of guest columns and long letters to the editor since it is hard for skeptical scientists to get published in the cabal of climate journals now controlled by the Great Sanhedrin of the environmental movement.

Still, the number of climate change skeptics is growing rapidly. Because a funny thing is happening to global temperatures — they're going down, not up.

On the same day (Sept. 5) that areas of southern Brazil were recording one of their latest winter snowfalls ever and entering what turned out to be their coldest September in a century, Brazilian meteorologist Eugenio Hackbart explained that extreme cold or snowfall events in his country have always been tied to "a negative PDO" or Pacific Decadal Oscillation. Positive PDOs — El Ninos — produce above-average temperatures in South America while negative ones — La Ninas — produce below average ones.

Dr. Hackbart also pointed out that periods of solar inactivity known as "solar minimums" magnify cold spells on his continent. So, given that August was the first month since 1913 in which no sunspot activity was recorded — none — and during which solar winds were at a 50-year low, he was not surprised that Brazilians were suffering (for them) a brutal cold snap. "This is no coincidence," he said as he scoffed at the notion that manmade carbon emissions had more impact than the sun and oceans on global climate.

Also in September, American Craig Loehle, a scientist who conducts computer modelling on global climate change, confirmed his earlier findings that the so-called Medieval Warm Period (MWP) of about 1,000 years ago did in fact exist and was even warmer than 20th-century temperatures.

Prior to the past decade of climate hysteria and Kyoto hype, the MWP was a given in the scientific community. Several hundred studies of tree rings, lake and ocean floor sediment, ice cores and early written records of weather — even harvest totals and censuses –confirmed that the period from 800 AD to 1300 AD was unusually warm, particularly in Northern Europe.

But in order to prove the climate scaremongers' claim that 20th-century warming had been dangerous and unprecedented — a result of human, not natural factors — the MWP had to be made to disappear. So studies such as Michael Mann's "hockey stick," in which there is no MWP and global temperatures rise gradually until they jump up in the industrial age, have been adopted by the UN as proof that recent climate change necessitates a reordering of human economies and societies.

Dr. Loehle's work helps end this deception.

Don Easterbrook, a geologist at Western Washington University, says, "It's practically a slam dunk that we are in for about 30 years of global cooling," as the sun enters a particularly inactive phase. His examination of warming and cooling trends over the past four centuries shows an "almost exact correlation" between climate fluctuations and solar energy received on Earth, while showing almost "no correlation at all with CO2."

An analytical chemist who works in spectroscopy and atmospheric sensing, Michael J. Myers of Hilton Head, S. C., declared, "Man-made global warming is junk science," explaining that worldwide manmade CO2 emission each year "equals about 0.0168% of the atmosphere's CO2 concentration … This results in a 0.00064% increase in the absorption of the sun's radiation. This is an insignificantly small number."

Other international scientists have called the manmade warming theory a "hoax," a "fraud" and simply "not credible."

While not stooping to such name-calling, weather-satellite scientists David Douglass of the University of Rochester and John Christy of the University of Alabama at Huntsville nonetheless dealt the True Believers a devastating blow last month.

For nearly 30 years, Professor Christy has been in charge of NASA's eight weather satellites that take more than 300,000 temperature readings daily around the globe. In a paper co-written with Dr. Douglass, he concludes that while manmade emissions may be having a slight impact, "variations in global temperatures since 1978 … cannot be attributed to carbon dioxide."

Moreover, while the chart below was not produced by Douglass and Christy, it was produced using their data and it clearly shows that in the past four years — the period corresponding to reduced solar activity — all of the rise in global temperatures since 1979 has disappeared.

It may be that more global warming doubters are surfacing because there just isn't any global warming.

[email protected]

National Post

Profile photo of cool samcool sam
    Participant
    @cool-sam

Hi
    Don't take tension .Go for insurance  What i say things going to happen if it gona be .No one can predict any disaster so live the life king size …

Arizona Condos | Chicago Condos

Profile photo of devo76devo76
    @devo76

California is on a fault line . There is a way higher chance of a massive earth quake there than rising sea levels yet it has no effect on prices. ( yes i know they are dropping at the moment but you get my point). I believe it will have no effect until we get a confirmed significant NON CYCLIC rise in levels. This has not been seen or proven yet.

On a plus with impending doom and food shortages as some predict you should easily be able to drop a line from your lounge room window and catch a feed. No worries mate.But if you are worried i have a nice house in the burbs way above sea level that i could swap ya :)

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff

Ok,  well this whole global warming crap was made up to push for world tax… Opps I ment to say carbon tax so that the world bank can issue Carbon Credits to everyone on the earth,  (That you have to pay for)

The fact is that the world has never been stable,  Always forever changing,  And infact like it has been mentioned in a post above,  We are heading into a state of global cooling,  Actually I read a report that said scientists in hawaii have seen sea levels lower this year 

I'm sure the government will come up with some sort of theory that says Global Cooling is caused by Global Warming and Global Cooling is proof that Global Warming exists because the evil Co2 is purposely making the earth cooler now to trick everyone into believing that the earth is getting colder when really Co2's plan is to use reverse psychology so it can implement its evil plan of global warming

But if it really came to it that sea levels rised 1m,  I guess you would have to get a permit from United Nations whether you would be allowed to build a retaining wall within your own property or not.  I would doubt it though,  Because they will probably tell you that your illegaly blocking the parth of world government owned sea water Lmfao

I guess houses will have to be built like they are in Denmark where all the houses float when the tide comes in and go back down when the tide goes out again.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

GW is a tax scam and the established system is talking it up becausu thats what they do.  The problem is that in the short term the system might win and insurance etc will become an issue.  I am more concerned about species destruction and pollution with harmful substances than Co2 levels which plants eat..  All of  sudden Co2 is a bad thing which it aint what about all the toxic substances no one talks about them naymore.  While I am ranting take AL Gore he was the guy that signed off on the use of deplelted uranium arnaments in the former Yugoslavia and he later went on to win a Nobel Peace Price FFS.

Rising water levels if it does happen will not be related to mand made Co2 emissions it will be for some other larger natural cycle that we cant predict because we aint been here long enough to.  As Harb says best you can do with GW is use it as a negotiating point for waterfront.

Profile photo of hbbehrendorffhbbehrendorff
    @hbbehrendorff
    bardon wrote:

GW is a tax scam and the established system is talking it up becausu thats what they do.  The problem is that in the short term the system might win and insurance etc will become an issue.  I am more concerned about species destruction and pollution with harmful substances than Co2 levels which plants eat..  All of  sudden Co2 is a bad thing which it aint what about all the toxic substances no one talks about them naymore.  While I am ranting take AL Gore he was the guy that signed off on the use of deplelted uranium arnaments in the former Yugoslavia and he later went on to win a Nobel Peace Price FFS.

Rising water levels if it does happen will not be related to mand made Co2 emissions it will be for some other larger natural cycle that we cant predict because we aint been here long enough to.  As Harb says best you can do with GW is use it as a negotiating point for waterfront.

Yes sir,  You are absolutely right !  Instead of  Chancellor Rudd focusing on Lies about how the life giving element C02 is the evil of the world and how humans are bad why doesn't he talk about all the real issues that are kept away from mainstream media like how his little elite group put Mercury in the Flu Shots and other vaccines and hide it as "thermiserol"  Contaminate our water supply and even our toothpaste with Sodium Fluoride which greatly decreases our IQ,  gives us brain damage and literally kills us.  contaminate our food with genetical engineered coding that triggers the cancer virus and many other degenerative diseases,  Censors our internet so that only sites with the Emperor Rudd approval stamp are allowed to be viewed by his subjects,  We would'nt want anything allowed to be viewed that tells evil lies about our Emperor now would we ?  http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,24569656-5014239,00.html

Or maybe seing as this is a investing site we should be talking about future U.N, Bilderburg, IMF and world government plans to completley illigalise private ownership of property like it used to be in communist china ?  Maybe we should be talking about Offical statments of the U.N that say world population needs to be lowered by 80% ?  Or how about Rudd trying to rush through  our joining of the Asian union where all australian laws will be decided by a non ellected centralised round table of private elites ?

Don't worry people,  Im only joking,  None of the above exists,  because sandra sally didn't tell you that it does.

0o0o  Australian Idol is on,  Gotta go !  Pizza and Marshmellow Ice cream time ! yay

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.