All Topics / Value Adding / simple reno question regarding capital gains

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of mrs palmermrs palmer
    @mrs-palmer

Hey All,

Just starting out and trying to get the simple stuff straight in my head.

1.  When buying, renovating and then selling straight away, is the idea to just cop the extra capital gains that come with selling within 12 months of purchasing?

2.  Also, do you sell the house unfurnished or furnished?  I have always been under the impression that an unfurnished house is harder to sell, but as the property is purchased purely to add value and then sell, furnishings aren't in place.

thanks

Profile photo of JLtarraJLtarra
    Participant
    @jltarra

mrs palmer,

it depends what your trying to do and how many you are gonna be doing. If your treating it like a business and doing multiple, i wouldn't worry about the capital gains.

And your right, it's easier to sell with furniture. Maybe try and hire it or get the place staged. Goggle 'staged homes' to see what they do.

All the best

John

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

hi Mrs Palmer

If you buy and sell properties you are going to have to pay taxes, whether it be income tax or CGT – assuming you are making a profit. A good way to reduce your tax bill is to use a discretionary trust structure. Have a look into these.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of tmrtmr
    @tmr

Hi,

According to my property-investing accountant, the time limitation for CGT is only 3 months. If it is your primary place of residence, and you sell AFTER three months, you are not liable for CGT.

It is listed on the ATO web site.

Cheers

Mark

Profile photo of Bob AndersenBob Andersen
    Participant
    @bob-andersen

Hi Mrs Palmer,

I'm not sure if the November issue of Australian Property Investor magazine has hit the news stands yet but your question and others is answered by Julia Hartman (BAN TACS Accountants Pty Ltd) on page 64 in an article titled "Building or Renovating for Profit".

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.