All Topics / Help Needed! / Seminars – a waste of time!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Profile photo of BreakEvenBreakEven
    Participant
    @breakeven

Ive been to quite a few propert seminars over the years – and I think they are a waste of time!
    Most of them have been run by somebody who has written a book and is cashing in on the notoriety.

They usually bait the hook with teasers like "Find out where the next property hotspots are" or "Are you ready for the next property boom?".  When you get there its the same old routine – buy my other book, buy my mentoring course, or give me all your money and we will "partner" on a project.  To be honest, I find these seminars rude and dishonest to the hoards that turn up. 

Has anyone been to a seminar where it was a positive experience?

I have to admit Steve McKnight seems to know his stuff – I have never seen him live tho…

Thoughts………….?

Profile photo of adldadld
    Participant
    @adld

i have never been to a seminar that i have had to pay more than 20$ for and didnt provide a free cup of tea.

Put the money you would of spent in you offset account and go to the library and read some articles you will learn more i bet

Profile photo of attrillattrill
    Participant
    @attrill

I just love the free taster evening which ends with the plug for the whole course. Some of the stuff I have picked up at those have made me heaps. It's also a good chance to bump into other investors that I only see at those events, and they all provide coffee and bikkies.

Go to a few of those and read as many property investing books as you can lay your hands on and you are well on your way.

There are only so many legal ways that you can make money out of property in Australia. The only advantage I can see to forking out for a whole seminar is the chance to meet up with cashed up investors to get some JVs going.

Profile photo of BreakEvenBreakEven
    Participant
    @breakeven

Ive just found that you dont learn anything new…. 
    Years ago I may have got a bit of motivation out of them, but nowadays all I see is a con.

A while ago, while younger and sillier – I spent a considerable amount (well, it was at the time) on a "mentoring course" provided by one of these "gurus" @ his seminar.  After the seminar, the speaker did a hard one on one sell – "I will mentor you and share my power secrets so that you will become a power investor".

I ended getting a few badly recorded, uninspiring MP3s, and no mentoring whatso ever.. 
    My mistake, more fool me by being sucked in by a smooth con artist.

Im not suggesting that all are like this, hence im intersted to see if anyone REALLY got anything good out of a seminar… 

Profile photo of BanjoSmythBanjoSmyth
    Participant
    @banjosmyth

Hi mate

I have had some really good experiences with seminars.

I come from a family that knew nothing about investing so i found it really hard to find people who i could learn from and trust.  I purchased my first investment property 3 months after going to my first property seminar.  It definitely gave me the confidence and the skills to know i could do it.  I have a favorite quote that i think relates to this concept

"The most expensive advice you will ever receive, is free from poor people"

Cheers

Banjo

Profile photo of BreakEvenBreakEven
    Participant
    @breakeven

You guys must be going to some good seminars if you are learning heaps and getting great advice.

I guess I started this topic as more of a warning to greenhorns……
    The mantra is, go to these seminars but be sceptical about what is the pesenter's motivation?
    And don't fork out for a course, a partnership or any other hard sell.  Books are best………….!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.