All Topics / Legal & Accounting / Entity structure

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Profile photo of hareluyahareluya
    Participant
    @hareluya

I'm interested in doing something similar to what Steve did in his book – set up an entity with a mate to invest in properties.

Steve mentioned about being the guarantor and the fall guy for the entity, however, I couldn't get much more out of it…

Can any advice what structure he's talking about that would allow for a zero-cash flow entity to borrow money from multiple banks to fund it's investment?

I'm also interested in the Wealth Guardian product that is currently out of stock if anyone have it.

Any recommendations for accountant that is good with these kind of set ups in Brisbane would also be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Profile photo of TerrywTerryw
    Participant
    @terryw

Steve used to use (and maybe still does?) a discretionary trust with a company as trustee.

With these entities, if is the director of the company that guarantees the loan. the director will need an income to prove serviceability. You can have 2 directors, but if something happens and the loan cannot be paid back, then the lender will take action against the guarantors – so for asset protection reasons it would be good to have one director and this director have no assets in their own names.

Terryw | Structuring Lawyers Pty Ltd / Loan Structuring Pty Ltd
    http://www.Structuring.com.au
    Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Profile photo of magic32magic32
    Participant
    @magic32

So for the guarantor to have no assets in his own name would mean that he would need to show serviceability from employment income? What if the guarantor was a bit more wealthy and no longer had to work, and his income is from his shareholding in a business, and that would not be good for asset protection, what would be a good arrangement / structure there?

Profile photo of hareluyahareluya
    Participant
    @hareluya
    magic32 wrote:
    So for the guarantor to have no assets in his own name would mean that he would need to show serviceability from employment income? What if the guarantor was a bit more wealthy and no longer had to work, and his income is from his shareholding in a business, and that would not be good for asset protection, what would be a good arrangement / structure there?

That's a good point…

Can someone explain further???

We're still looking for an accountant in Brisbane area~

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Try Steve Hodgkinson at the Gold Business Group at Southport on the GC.

Steve has been my Accoutant for 12 years and is an expert on property structures.

I have referred dozens of forum clients to him and have heard nothing but on happy they have been with his service and advce.

His contact number is 55322855.

Tell him i sent you as he is not taking on new clients other than by referral.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Participant
    @terryw
    magic32 wrote:

Yep, you would need to show an income for serviceability. You can't always have you cake and eat it too. But if the guarantor had income from employment that would be great. They can also receive income from the trust as a distribution each year – though for tax minimisation reasons the trust income may be distributed to lower income earners first. If trust distributions are to be relied on, the banks will generally want 2 years tax returns for the trust and the individual.

Email Me

Lawyer, Mortgage Broker and Tax Advisor (Sydney based but advising Aust wide) http://www.Structuring.com.au

Participant
    @terryw

I should add that distributions from a company are the same, you can take that into account for servicing, but a better way to hold shares would be through your discretionary trust too.

Email Me

Profile photo of lordoftheundeadlordoftheundead
    @lordoftheundead

Could someone please verify my understanding of discretionary trusts with a compay as trustee?

1) set up a company that will hold no assets of its own
    2)set up a trust with the company as trustee and a couple of people as beneficiaries (the company can also be a trustee and therefore have a max 30% tax rate)

3)funding hmmm, a)beneficiary gifts money to the trust
                                      b)beneficiary loans money to the trust at the same rate or higher as they borrowed it (am not sure how a beneficiary gets a loan for this or if its only done for a unit trust)
                                      c)company takes out the loan and has the director as gaurentor with their income verified.
                                      d)trust loans the money in its own right having provided previous tax returns

is there anyway a trust can loan the money in its own right without financial history? i.e low lvr or pos geared

What effect does be being gaurentor have on the director lending money themself?

what effect is there on a director for financing property in there own names?

thankyou for your help

regards
    lordoftheundead

pete

Profile photo of eddieceddiec
    @eddiec

Hareluya

Let me know if you are looking for an accountant in Brisbane, rather than the Gold Coast.

Eddie
    [email protected]

Participant
    @terryw
    lordoftheundead wrote:
    Could someone please verify my understanding of discretionary trusts with a compay as trustee?

1) set up a company that will hold no assets of its own
    2)set up a trust with the company as trustee and a couple of people as beneficiaries (the company can also be a trustee and therefore have a max 30% tax rate)

3)funding hmmm, a)beneficiary gifts money to the trust
                                      b)beneficiary loans money to the trust at the same rate or higher as they borrowed it (am not sure how a beneficiary gets a loan for this or if its only done for a unit trust)
                                      c)company takes out the loan and has the director as gaurentor with their income verified.
                                      d)trust loans the money in its own right having provided previous tax returns

is there anyway a trust can loan the money in its own right without financial history? i.e low lvr or pos geared

What effect does be being gaurentor have on the director lending money themself?

what effect is there on a director for financing property in there own names?

thankyou for your help

regards
    lordoftheundead

pete

Hi Pete

The company is set up and should only operate as trustee – no trading etc to limit risk.
    The trust deed should be worded so that it has thousands of beneficiaries- eg all children, step children, adopted children – inlcuding those yet to be born.
    – for lending purposes keep the named beneficairies limited as some lenders will want a guarantee from all named adult beneficiaries

having a company as trustee will not change the tax rate. Trusts don't pay tax, it is the beneficiaries of the income that pay tax. So the amount paid will depend on their other income and the trust income. Where all beneficiaries will pay more than 30% you can then distribute to a company.

Becareful with gifting and lending to a trust. There are asset protection issues and tax issues. Eg you borrow to lend the trust and then go bankrupt – that loan can be clawed back. If you borrow and gift to the trust this interest will not be deductible.

A brand new trust (or company) can easily borrow as the lender will take a guarantee from the trustee/directors 9and maybe others) and their incomes will be taken into account – as well as rents etc.

Email Me

@lordoftheundead

Thanks for that Terryw, that helps me out alot in my understanding. i still have a couple more Qs however

1)you stated that a new trust can easily borrow money in its own right but i am wondering what sort of a lvr we are talking? i have done a good old google search but found that only credit unions loan at a high lvr or major lenders dont state the fact on there websites, do you know of any that are 90% plus?

2)what obligations does a gaurentor ie a beneficiery have when applying  for loans in their own names in regards to being a gaurentor for a trusts loan?

thanks for the help

pete

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Pete

Trusts can get the same LVRs as individuals. 95% or maybe even 100%.

If you guarantee a loan you will need to declare this if you apply for subsequent loans – not matter which name/entity.

Email Me

Profile photo of PosEnterprisesPosEnterprises
    @posenterprises

Can someone please advise opionions – If you really need a Trust to do your business – What if you wanted to hold shares and trade shares and hold property in the same Trust.  Is that a good idea?

Or would you set up separate Trusts – for Trading for Income and Holding Shares for dividends – and  Trust for just holding property!

Profile photo of eddieceddiec
    @eddiec
    PosEnterprises wrote:
    Can someone please advise opionions – If you really need a Trust to do your business – What if you wanted to hold shares and trade shares and hold property in the same Trust.  Is that a good idea?

Or would you set up separate Trusts – for Trading for Income and Holding Shares for dividends – and  Trust for just holding property!

It is generally not a good idea to hold valuable property and operate a business via the same trust.  Doing so exposes the property to the trading risks of the business, ie, if someone sues the business, the trust may lose the property upon litigation. 

However, if you are talking about share trading, which is relatively low risk, I don't see any issues with holding shares for trading, shares for dividends, and properties in the same trust.

Eddie
    [email protected]

@lordoftheundead

Thanks again Terryw

when declaring yourself as a gaurentor either because you are a director or beneficiery, does this in a lenders eyes class you as having a loan for that amount yourself when you apply for a loan?

on a related topic, if you rented  a property from your trust fully furnished (paying market value) i understand this makes the furniture etc deductable/depreciable with in the trust. do the items have to be there at the start of you renting it or can they be added along the way?

thanks

again

pete

Participant
    @terryw

Hi Pete

If you guarantee a loan it is the same as taking out the loan in terms of effect on future borrowings. Future lenders will want to know all the loans you have taken out and any loans you have guaranteed.

Furniture for a rental property could be added along the way – but if you are adding furniture your rent should be rising too to make it commercially viable.

Also be aware that the trustee of a trust is legally obliged to take care of the trust assets for all of the beneficiaries, So everything should be at market rates.

Email Me

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.