All Topics / Help Needed! / Student accommodation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Profile photo of Nich4Nich4
    Participant
    @nich4

hello does anyone have an opinion on investing in student apartments for positive cashflow?  I am aware that the banks do not lend as high a percentage, but are there any other negatives?  Are the maintenance costs high, for example?

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Yes the costs tend to be higher hence the positive returns.

Suggest you check out the Body Corporate Disclosure Statement which will set out the anticpated expenses going forward.

On the finance front unlikely to get more than 80% on a standalone deal however subject to other equity 100% plus costs as usual is available.

Have financed many of these for clients looking to balance the positive cash flow with some negative geared properties they hold for CG.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of ErikHErikH
    @erikh

Hi Nich4 I've looked into student accommodation like http://www.varsityapartments.com.au to do exactly what Richard described above, balance the negative cashflow from my growth properties, but what I found was that despite apparently very high rental yields (11% – 15%) most of this disappears into high management and maintenance costs. 

E.g. in Varsity you could get a unit for around $220,000 and it would rent out for $600 per week, but your costs will be high, something like the following (these numbers are 6 months old):

Regular Expenses
    Management Fee            3.5% of gross rent
    Letting Fee                     5.5% of gross rent 

Monthly Charges
    Postage and Petties         $5.50
    PABX                              $52.00
    Internet                            $69.36
    Austar                             $26.00
    Common Room Clean       $34.65
    Electricity per month         $60 – $80 

Advertising – 6 months       $45.00
    Rates per year                  $2000 approx
    Body Corp per year           $3900 approx  

Also, don’t forget during breaks most students will not let the unit but instead return home so you’ll be faced with no tenants during this time. However, in this particular complex they rent the units out as holiday accommodation and that seems to be working better each year.

One of my main concerns was that the cashflow is not that great due to the high costs and I believe you have very limited capital growth due to the restricted nature of the property and you can find comparative cashflow with better room for growth in other property types…

Profile photo of Nich4Nich4
    Participant
    @nich4

Thanks to all, especially Erick, that is useful information

Profile photo of Nich4Nich4
    Participant
    @nich4

Thanks to all, especially Erick, that is useful information

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.