Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 30 total)
  • Profile photo of NEPASHNEPASH
    @nepash

Hi,

I just bought an investment property. i still have some borrowing power, and with the new FHOG announced today, i might be able to afford another property (perhaps to live in). Would i qualify for the new FHOG, as i already have an investment property. Although having to live in the new property and not able to rent it out is going to be a bit costly. Is it a good idea to take advantage of this offer, if i qualify ?
    any suggestions ?

Profile photo of ducksterduckster
    Participant
    @duckster

Nepash,
    Welcome to the forum,
    Unfortunately, if you already own a house then you are not a first home owner.
    I am assuming that the new FHOG will have a similar requirement to the old FHOG in that you have to be a first home buyer and not previously owned property including investment properties.

http://www.firsthome.gov.au/

Profile photo of Cat159Cat159
    Participant
    @cat159

Hi

This might my ignorance talking, but I thought that you would still qualify for the FHOG even if you have an investment property, as long as you have never lived in it????

Cheers

Cat

Profile photo of RWEBBRWEBB
    @rwebb

My partner and I are about to start building our house next week. We have APPLIED for our FHOG but HAVE NOT received it as of yet!!!

We have received a letter from the government saying that we are eligiblie for the 7000.00 dollar grant but can not get this until settlement of our house (which our bank deems as when we request our first draw down)!!!!

Can you please help – does this mean that we will only receive the 7000.00 dollar grant or the 21000.00 grant now????

Please help!!! 

Profile photo of Richard TaylorRichard Taylor
    Participant
    @qlds007

Never like to disagree with my learned collegaues but Duckster is incorrect.

Up until yesterday if you have never owned a home that you have occupied as your main residence (an investment property does not count) then you have always been eligible for the $7000 Grant.

As from the 14th October 2008 nothing has changed other than the fact that the Grant has increased to $14,000 for the purchaser of an established home.

In Nepash's case you would qualify for the $14,000 Grant  however in the case of RWEBB unfortunately as the Building Contract was entered into prior to the 14th Oct you would not get the additional $14,000 amount.

Richard Taylor | Australia's leading private lender

Profile photo of DraconisVDraconisV
    Participant
    @draconisv

How long are these 14K ad 21K FHOGs going to last for?
    I’M Not ready to get iNto the Market just yet
    But proBaBly deCeMBer NeXt year

Chris

Participant
    @qlds007

30th June 2009 was announced yesterday by the Govt.

Profile photo of Clyde76Clyde76
    Participant
    @clyde76

Gday all,

It's my first time on the site. I have a couple of places in my name and a place in joint names with my defacto girlfriend that is an investment property. I have received the FHOG. Is my girlfriend allowed to receive the FHOG if she buys a place in her name only? If what Richard says above, she may be able to.
    Cheers,
    Clyde

Participant
    @qlds007

Hi Clyde

Tough call mate. The Defacto relationship would normally exclude her from receiving it but i have processed a few in similar situations and they have been received.

Suggest kid glove treatment on this one.

Participant
    @clyde76
    Qlds007 wrote:
    Never like to disagree with my learned collegaues but Duckster is incorrect.

Up until yesterday if you have never owned a home that you have occupied as your main residence (an investment property does not count) then you have always been eligible for the $7000 Grant.

As from the 14th October 2008 nothing has changed other than the fact that the Grant has increased to $14,000 for the purchaser of an established home.

In Nepash's case you would qualify for the $14,000 Grant  however in the case of RWEBB unfortunately as the Building Contract was entered into prior to the 14th Oct you would not get the additional $14,000 amount.

Gday all,

This is my first time on the site. A bit of background info. I have received the FHOG and have a couple of properties in my name and another in joint names with my partner that was bought as an investment, and she hasn't received the FHOG. Is she eligible to receive the FHOG if she was to buy a property in her name only?

Cheers,
    Clyde

Participant
    @clyde76

Sorry didn't see that it had gone through the first time. Don't mind me!!!

Participant
    @clyde76

Thanks for that Richard,
    Cheers,
    Clyde

Participant
    @qlds007

Pleasure mate and welcome to the forum.

Profile photo of GregDGregD
    @gregd

Hi there …just registered…but been around a bit.

I was a bit concerned re the advise from Richard on the FHOG, so I went to the Qld Govt web site and saw this…it is a copy and paste …describing the characteristics of an eligebil recipiant of the FHOG

• You must be a natural person, not a company or person acting in the capacity of trustee
  • You, or a joint applicant, must be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident
  • You must be at least 18 years of age when you entered into the eligible transaction (The Commissioner may consider an exemption from this requirement in certain circumstances)
  • You and your spouse must not have received an earlier grant under the First Home Owner Grant Act 2000 or under a corresponding Act of an Australian State or Territory
  • You and your spouse must not have previously held an interest in residential property in Australia prior to 1 July 2000. This includes investment homes
  • You and your spouse must not have previously held an interest in residential property in Australia on or after 1 July 2000 in which you or your spouse have resided (Ownership of an investment property after 1 July 2000 will not prevent you from obtaining the Grant provided you have NOT lived in the home)
  • Just to clear the air…the investment house issue is different pre and post 1/7/2000

Everyone should check the FHOG out them selves straight from the horses mouth…

Cheers
    GregD