All Topics / General Property / 1st home owner grant to double

Register Now for My Free Live Training Series!
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)
  • Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

The gov't will announce the doubling of the first home owners grant today for new and old homes. What will this mean for homes in your area in a low interest rate environment.

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of Don NicolussiDon Nicolussi
    Participant
    @don

Make that a triple of the first home buyers grant!!!

Don Nicolussi | Mortgage Broker - Home Loan Warehouse
    http://homeloanwarehouse.com.au
    Email Me | Phone Me

"I think of finance as a technology, a way of getting things done." Robert Shiller

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester

It's triple for new homes and double for established. I think it is madness, even being eligible.

Profile photo of cyfmikecyfmike
    @cyfmike

It is really a good news to me. As I am a first home buyer and I pulled out last week from a deal after found it had serious termite attacked before. I did lost 1600 for the whole process.

Profile photo of howardcmhowardcm
    @howardcm

Great for me

Put in an offer for a home 6 months ago that was rejected. The house ended up selling for less then my first offer

Now looking to purchase in 2 – 3 months time when prices have fallen a little more

Profile photo of jeffreycarigjeffreycarig
    @jeffreycarig

I don't own a property but am in a position to buy very soon so this is very encouraging news that is tending me more and more so towards property over shares.

Can i ask a stupid question? I know it is silly but i just want to be absolutely sure about this.

The government  is giving a grant for houses. Are apartments considered houses? Subsequently are they eligible for the grant too?

Profile photo of gibbo1gibbo1
    Participant
    @gibbo1

Does anyone know when the payments will increase?  Is it from today

Profile photo of StumpCamStumpCam
    @stumpcam
    jeffreycarig wrote:
    The government  is giving a grant for houses. Are apartments considered houses? Subsequently are they eligible for the grant too?

They certainly are eligible Jeffrey; it's a first home owner's grant, not a first house owners grant.

Profile photo of StumpCamStumpCam
    @stumpcam
    gibbo1 wrote:
    Does anyone know when the payments will increase?  Is it from today

This is all I've been able to find so far Gibbo:

The first-home buyers scheme will be time limited. All contracts entered into by June 30 next year will be eligible for the new assistance.
    It implies that any new contracts started as of now will be eligible, but it may be a bit rough for anybody who signed one yesterday.

Profile photo of Matt JonesMatt Jones
    Participant
    @mattjones

Whoa that changes things :) We have two properties to go on the market this weekend – maybe best to hold off in case this news brings a mini boom…….

CHeers,
    Matt

Matt Jones | Property Resource Shop
    https://www.propertyresourceshop.com/
    Email Me | Phone Me

Learn What It Takes To Instantly Access All The Partners, Money, Deals and Strategies You Need, To Truly Make It In Property Investing and Leave Your Day Job Behind...

Profile photo of wianwian
    @wian

man ! that sucks !  I signed a contract 2 weeks ago !

Surely they could have back dated it to include contracts for this financial year !  This is biased against people who have bought first properties already !

This ucks !

Cheers

wian

Profile photo of ummesterummester
    @ummester
    mattjones wrote:
    Whoa that changes things :) We have two properties to go on the market this weekend – maybe best to hold off in case this news brings a mini boom…….

CHeers,
    Matt

Which is exactly what worries me with it.

It's a get in quick deal. Does everyone realise that the 21K expires at the end of this FY and the 14K too? From July 1 next year its back to 7K all around. Sell, sell, sell and put 7K on top. Build, build, build and put 14K on top. You've got 9 months to get a loan or make some cash.

I realise that construction needs a boost and fully support doubling the grant for new home buyers – even tripling (though that is pushing it) but the established home buyers grant should have been left alone.

I fear this will create a mini boom from now until June 2009 and that the resultant drops and possible foreclosure rate to follow it may be devestating. We weren't quite as bad as America with it's subprime (even though our prices are more over-valued) but after this…

Profile photo of trustieonetrustieone
    @trustieone

Not sure if i am able to get this extra grant or not,
    I paid .25% to the agent to hold the property,  my 10 day cooling off period expires tomorrow, i have not yet paid the full 10% deposit.

So any views as to whether i might get this extra $7k  grant.

Profile photo of wallyt99wallyt99
    @wallyt99
    trustieone wrote:
    Not sure if i am able to get this extra grant or not,
    I paid .25% to the agent to hold the property,  my 10 day cooling off period expires tomorrow, i have not yet paid the full 10% deposit.

So any views as to whether i might get this extra $7k  grant.

Did you place a STF clause in the contract?

Have your banker write a letter to say you have been declined for finance.  You will not lose any money.

Profile photo of wianwian
    @wian

is there any way you can legally change the date of the contract if you havent settled yet?  Also, does this grant apply for the settlement date, or the date you put down yr 10% deposit ?

cheers

Profile photo of jeffreycarigjeffreycarig
    @jeffreycarig

hmmm a few people have been asking (wian & trustieone) about backdating and wondering if they are eligible for the 14k grant since it has been introduced after their transaction processes were started.

Have you guys lodged your applications yet? If not, then since you bought your properties after 2000 the date the ACT was introduced my thoughts are that you would be eligible for the 14k!

Am i correct? Also, the application says that you are not allowed to apply if you have already lodged an application however if you have lodged an application and canceled and given the money of the grant back then you may apply again. Although i am sure you will probably only be allowed to cancel with good reason.

Just some thoughts,

Jeff

Profile photo of wallyt99wallyt99
    @wallyt99

You could also slip the vendor $1000 cash to mutually cancel the contract, then resign a new one with the same settlement date.

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon
    wallyt99 wrote:
    You could also slip the vendor $1000 cash to mutually cancel the contract, then resign a new one with the same settlement date.

Beautiful

Profile photo of gibbo1gibbo1
    Participant
    @gibbo1

some vendors may want to get greedy and slit the difference 50/50

Profile photo of bardonbardon
    Participant
    @bardon

still a goer but wait fellow tax payer is this moral ?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.