All Topics / Value Adding / Determine if it’s a structural wall or not

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Profile photo of Fed23Fed23
    @fed23

Hey, I need help, im out of my element here. I need to determine if a wall is structrual or not. I want to knock it out (preferably by myself) as it's only 1.5m x .14m.

Do I need to get an Engineer or Builder in there? Which one is the better choice? and which is cheaper? If its non-structural can I knock it out myself? It's a Brick wall, the whole unit is brick and built in 1988.

Cheers
    Fed

Profile photo of IP FreelyIP Freely
    @ip-freely

The general form of construction for home units is that all walls are load bearing – this is to reduce the cost of construction. To cover yourself you would need to engage a consulting engineer to confirm the construction and to develop the demolition methodology. You will also need development consent from council as it is defined as structural work as well as getting consent of the body corporate (the rest of the building has an implied covenant for a right of support).

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation
    IP Freely wrote:
    The general form of construction for home units is that all walls are load bearing

How can it be load-bearing if it is only 1.5m high?

Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

ass-u-me

he never said it was 1.5m high. 1.5m sounds like the length, and 0.14m the thickness.

anyways, unless you are on the top floor its a no-go.

Profile photo of Fed23Fed23
    @fed23

Hi,

The wall is 2.8×1.5x.14, so 1.5m is the length.

Profile photo of foundationfoundation
    @foundation

Oh.

In that case, knock it down and see if the roof sags.

A saggy roof almost certainly means it is was structural.

Cheers, F. [cowboy2]

Profile photo of hanoixuahanoixua
    Participant
    @hanoixua

hi
    From your information, it is not enough to tell it is load bearing wall or not. Access roof space and see if anything sit on it. If there are, it is load bearing wall. Is 2.8m the height?? Careful with it when you demolish. Consider the risk, few hundred for engineer inspection may not expensive at all as fixing any damage structural now cost you thousands.

Profile photo of hanoixuahanoixua
    Participant
    @hanoixua

BTW,
    Builder licensed for build not for structure inspection. It is engineer job. Better go direct to engineer.
    Cheers

Profile photo of Beth AshtonBeth Ashton
    Participant
    @beth-ashton

Hey Fed

Builder and Builder's gf in the house….
    Structural walls (on the interior) are generally a solid wall ie. brick or block
    If all walls in your home are brick, agreed you should contact an Engineer so they can determine whether it's structural!

Good luck!

Beth Ashton
    and her bf

Profile photo of crashycrashy
    Participant
    @crashy

pointless to pay an engineer unless you have PERMISSION from the body corp!

their decision may then pivot on the engineers report, putting you back at square one, but if you get a "not a snowballs chance in hell" then dont waste your money. as I said, if you are on the top floor, it may not be structural. if you are NOT, then it IS structural.

Profile photo of crm911crm911
    Participant
    @crm911

Excellent input from crashy! I have known this to happen to people who are excited by the project and they decide to get a cost estimate, since they need that to borrow money. They hire an engineer and then they discover that the body corp and council also need to give their blessing.

Better to describe wall dimensions as width x height but floors as length and breadth.

Tell us how it goes.

http://www.improvemyhome.com.au
    Improve My Home

Profile photo of turbojasturbojas
    @turbojas

If the roof is a pitched roof, then it is more then likely that all walls including internal are load bearing. If the roof is a trussed roof then chances are that it is not load bearing. I would have a residential structural engineer look at the house, a carpenter(Builder) can use span tables to work it all out properly but with insurance the way it is these days I would err on the safe option.

Good luck      

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. If you don't have an account, you can register here.